Author Topic: Biopsy  (Read 5845 times)

ceeceek

Biopsy
« on: February 03, 2007, 11:49:38 am »
Now, I know several of you have had biopsys..and I am referring to the type in your brain...
So can you guys fill me in on what to expect?

I have tried reading about them etc.....but not a lot of luck.

I did however, find a Doc whom specializes in removal of tumors via the nose or endoscopically,,and although I so far should be a good candidate for CK, I may consider this type of treatment also depending on what Dr. Brem has to say...but I am till stuck waiting.......aauuughhgh till wed....I wish it would get here.

In the meantime, the main reason I am seeing Dr Brem, is to see if a biopsy is possible etc. for Dr. Spunberg, as he says treatment would be most effective if he knew exactly what he was dealing with vs just generic treatment, so more than likely I will be having Dr. Brem perform one, and I really dont know what to expect....

Would love to hear your stories and outcomes if anyone has any.

Thanks
Ceeceek :-\
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Biopsy
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 11:52:09 am »
ceecee, I know you are in a tough situation and you are getting as many options/opinions as you can.  I have had biopsies but not on the brain, so I cannot answer your question.  Will see if I can find any info around the net and will see if others chime in.

Hang in there.... I know the wait has been a tough one for you. We're here for you!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ceeceek

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 12:59:35 pm »
Tanks...you are always there.....and while I am on a rant..has anyone been treated by Dr. Jho re endoscopic surgery???? am trying to research info about him, although, I know recently at Florida Hospital they did perform this proceedure, but not sure if they do it on a regular basis, I will be sure to ask Dr. Brem about it...although I think CK is a very very good option, my biggest concern is said tumor growing back later..and if I have it removed although there is still that chance, it would take a long time......with lots of room to grow verses if I just kill it now, and it regrows later there is not much room...
Thanks again,
Ceeceek
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

Lorenzo

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 01:27:41 pm »
Well, if it grows again after Ck, I would imagine they would debulk it first then zap it again, no? maybe I'm under a wrong assumption!
Ciao, Lorenzo

ceeceek

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 03:22:44 pm »
Well, thats what I mean..I believe that if it were to grow, they would indeed just zap it again, but,,,, I am not in much position for it to grow...if you know what I mean.

In meanwhile, I am trying to find out about how biopsys are performed etc so I can know what to expect, but I guess most people have just had it during reg surgery....how about you guys that had GK or CK..did they biopsy first and what was it like??
Ceeceek

ceeceek

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 04:09:07 pm »
Hi bruce.
Because of where this sits, they are unsure if it is an AN a facial schwanomma or a meningioma and without biopsy, they cannot tell. I have significant markers that could identify it as any of the above or none of the above..although likely benign they want a biopsy so that if I do CK, they can adjust the dose for that type of tissue....fun fun aint it?

I am currently at borderline for Gk and due to location upon carotiod artery will more than likely proceed with CK or endoscopic removal if it is an option.....trying to find out if anyone knows anything about a Dr. Jho..he invented process of endoscopic removal of skull base tumors...which is in effect what I have due to its location.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 04:13:40 pm »
Well, if it grows again after Ck, I would imagine they would debulk it first then zap it again, no? maybe I'm under a wrong assumption!
Ciao, Lorenzo

that's the nice thing about CK, my dear Italian Friend in Ire! :)  If you CK and gawd forbid.... you can re-CK again!  One reason why I chose it as my treatment option... you know.. the old "...just in case..."

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jerseygirl

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 08:13:57 pm »
Hi, Ceeceek,

I am not sure I understand where your tumor is located but since it might be meningioma, there is a doctor you might want to consult: Dr. Sen in New York. He does endoscopic removal but not of AN unfortunately. He does a lot of meningioma removals, as well as NF2 tumors and is featured on the meningioma help forum. Here is the link:

http://www.cranialbasecenter.org/

I know people come to him from all over. I had a consult with him regarding my AN recurrence and he impressed me so much that if I absolutely had to stay in NY and could not go to any other state, I would do it with him. He handlles difficult tumors in challenging places. As I posted in another thread you started regarding Dr. Jho, I am going with Dr. Shahinian at SBI, also endoscopic. Dr. Sen, incidentally, trained with Dr. Jho, so that might be something that you want to look into.

Best wishes regarding your search!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 09:17:14 pm »
Ayayaya Girl: you sound like you have a tricky little bugger :'(.  I just had my first CK treatment- it went great.  And the doctors assured me that if I am in the 2% failure rate (versus the 98% success rate)- they would just do a second set of treatments with CK -(Yep Phyl, Lorezno is correct in his assumption)  It seems to me that if you are going through the hassle of the biopsy, you might as well get the whole thing removed ( but again, I'm a patient with limited, internet based knowledge).  I had three prior opinions, all were surgery based- the second opinion mentioned my tumor might be a meningioma but none of the other opinions concurred with that theory.

Are you in pain? Are you having balance issues? If no pain and no balance issues you may very well be a great candidate for Gk or CK.  I know I am a chicken little about surgery and the 6-8 weeks recovery associated with surgery was just a real depressing thought for me.

My experience with all this- research and keep talking and checking in with all of us. I was pretty much resigned to surgery and then was doubting my desicion- only to check in with the website and have my gut check confirmed by Phyl, Mark and Bruce.  Really research all your options. Know up front that the treatment for these types of tumors are surgery biased- (it took me three separate opinions, Sacramento ENT, House Ear Institute-LA, and then 2 separate opinions at Stanford only to have the second guy at Stanford Dr. Chang tell me I was a great candidate for CK treatment.

Also, don't expect to become an expert right away! You need time to absorb all the terms associated with your condition.  Take care of yourself and know we are here for you- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys