Author Topic: Runny nose  (Read 4675 times)

heyyouconnie

Runny nose
« on: July 22, 2005, 07:32:54 am »
I had surgery on Mar 1 for an AN. The doc said to watch for a drippy nose, as that might be a leak. Right? Well, over the past month or two, when ever I do any kind of physical work, like vacuuming or going to the grocery, or walking up and down a flight of stairs, my nose gets very wet. Won't drip but it is wet enough to use a Kleenex. And it is happening more.  I went to my General Practiciner yesterday and I have an appointment next week with the doc that found the tumor, (ear, nose and throat doc). The GP doc thought it might be a leak and be sure to talk to the ENT doc. OK, ok, I will. Might be a leak, fine. Just what I needed....

Do you know the procedure for curing the leak? Is it a medication, or do they have to do surgery again. Oh my God, I sure hope it is NOT surgery again. I don't think I could handle that again. This leak doesn't seem too bad if it only happens at time of stressful activities.

matti

Re: Runny nose
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 10:45:18 am »
I had AN surgery in 1998. Since then, whenever I do any type of either outdoor/indoor physical activity, my nose runs, escpecially on the affected side. If I am gardening, vacumming, treadmill, anything that would create a sweat, I get the nose drip.  It is very annoying and I usually have to stop my activity for a few minutes, cool down and then resume. All my doctors say it is normal and is due to the way my nerves rewired themselves. I have had several MRI's since 1998 and everything seems to be fine.  I also get a leaky eye when I chew for a length of time.

Let me know what your doctor says and don't worry.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 11:14:02 am »
Hi,

My name is Jeff. After my last AN surgery I had a CSF leak. When I leaned forward, clear fluid dripped from my nose. I mentioned it to my doctor on my first folow-up visit. He simply had me sit down, llean forward, and watch for drips. They came right away and he said "Yep, that's a spinal fluid leak." I went across the street to the hospital, got admitted, and ha a lumbar drain inserted. the drain relieves spinal fluid pressure allowing the surgical area to reseal itself. I stayed in the hospital for 6 days (mainly because they weren't ready to let me go on Friday, forcing me to stay over the weekend. That solved the problem and I am leak-free ever since then. I have spoken to others who had o have their leak repaired surgically, but it is a much shorter surgery than the AN surgery.

I do have a huge amount of sinus "stuff" when I do physical labor such as yard work, and it does come from the surgery side, so perhaps this is your situation. Is it possible for you to have an ppointment with the doctors who performed your surgery? That's who I would want to be evaluated by.

Best wishes,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 08:47:03 pm »
Jeff,
I have surgery scheduled for August 2 at Duke in NC. I have been told I will have three incisions 1-below my right ear, 2- on my left side to remove belly fat to put in my head, 3- a drain in my back. I don't know where . I wonder if this is just a precaution. I am having the translab approach.Any ideas?
Lynn

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 09:00:12 pm »
Hi Lynn,

Yes, the plan you were given all makes sense to me. The translab approach leaves a hole that is filled with body fat taken from the abdomen. I had translab in 2003 and had the fat pack as parrt of the surgery. The drain is called a lumbar drain and is placed in the lower back to relieve the spinal fluid pressure and allow the incision to heal up and seal itself with the help of the fat pack. I think that some facilities use the lumbar puncture as standard procedure as a measure to prevent CSF leaks. I had retrosigmoid surgery in 2002 at Barrow Neurosurgical in Phoenix and they put them in as a matter of procedure. House Ear Clinic does not place them because they say such a small percentage of patients develop a leak and need one later. I just happened to be one such patient. Given a choice, I would rather have them place the drain during surgery, as you will have done. It sure hurt when I was awake for the procedure. i will pray that your surgery goes well. Do you have a large tumor?

Best wishes,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

cookiesecond

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 09:38:24 pm »
Jeff,
I was told 3 cm by one doctor and 21 x 17 mm by another. I have lost almost all of my hearing in my right ear. I am dizzy and nauseous a lot. I also feel pressure on the back of my head but I'm not sure if it is from the an or a neck/back injury .
My surgery is scheduled for August 2 at Duke in Nc. The neurosurgeon is Dr. Fukushima and he has done 1000 an surgeries. His credentials are good but I still get scared.The surgical nurse said I could expect 1 week of recovery for every hour of anesthesia. The doctor estimates 5 1/2 hours of surgery.
Thanks and take care,
Lynn

iowaboy

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 07:25:27 pm »
After my surgery I had a CNS leak, which they repaired with a lumbar drain and 6 days flat on my back. Now and then my nose will run when I'm outside, and man do I get paranoid. Thankfully it hasn't been a leak. I read that can happen at times so now I'm more prepared for it but I still have the PTSD associated with the leak. Maybe someday I won't react so strongly.

heyyouconnie

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 08:19:18 am »
I just went to the doc yesterday and GOOD NEWS! Matti was right, it is the nerves starting to recharge. That there is a nerve between the eye and nose that is starting to "wake up". And it might mean that the others are close behind. He hadn't seen me in over a month and he had noticed a difference in the tone of my face. That it was tighter. I sure hadn't thought of that. Still looks real droopy to me.

Iowaboy, where are you from? I use to live in Ames my first 33 years. I hated the extreme hot and the extreme cold. My last year, it was over 100 degrees in the summer and two nights it was 104 below with wind chill and 98 below with wind chill. That is too big of a difference for me. Then I lived in FL where it was hot all the time, and now live in NC where it is between 20-75 during the year. They call me a half back around here. Started up north, moved way south and I am half way back now.

heyyouconnie

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 10:58:18 am »
Jennifer
oh, it really seems we do!!
I live between Franklin, and Highland NC. That is about 15 miles north of the Georgia boarder on 441. I had surgery on Mar 1 in Nashville TN. Dr. Jackson did it at Baptist Hospital. That is where my doc recommended that had found the tumor. Where is Iowa did you grow up? Did you attend an Iowa college? My son went to Iowa State and daughter to University of Iowa. Where in FL did you live? I lived in New Port Richey which is just outside of Clearwater/Tampa. I lived there 20 years and just moved to NC two years ago. My hubby's brother lives in Eaton SC. Wow, interesting. Good and better luck to your hubby. The waiting for the surgery is the worst. Having it done is a breeze because you are out cold. Then waking up is a doozy. But it all will pass with time, and he will have to focus on recovery like I am.
My best, Connie

heyyouconnie

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 07:22:57 am »
You're a half back too. Ft. Myers is a lovely place. Developed the road before the people came. Lots of FL didn't do that and the road construction was a nightmare!

Waiting is the worst. I have been 5 month postop now. I have improved but no where near back to me yet. Just this am I was walking back from the kitchen with my coffee and lost my balance and poured coffee on the wall. My hair has been falling out like crazy from the anthestica (sp) and my face is droopy. The last visit to the doc found it was getting better tho. I guess I put that down already. I hate being deaf in my right ear too! But just remember, AN surgery doesn't improve your life, it saves it.

I was in surgery for 12 hours, and my poor hubby. Thank God that my sister and brother in law came to sit with him thru most of it. 6am to 6pm. You and my hubby have the toughest row that day. This waiting room was just one large room with chairs that lined the walls and they were full of people. Then a nurse would call someone on the phone to say how the surgery was going. Isn't that awful! I have been in waiting rooms with loungers, and small intimate rooms, table lamps and a tv. When I was in intensive care I really didn't care if hubby or the gang came to visit or not. I was a sick puppy, but I loved the company when I got in my own room.

Good luck to you and your hubby. Just remember to take baby steps.  :)