Author Topic: balance when bending over  (Read 7227 times)

maarten

balance when bending over
« on: February 02, 2007, 03:37:14 pm »
I'm 3 months post-op and hopeful of improvement in the following area: when I bend over/squat, I have no sense of balance whatsoever and I hold on to furniture to prevent falling over. I know everybody's case is different, but if you can tell me that this has improved for you over time, that would help me a lot. Thanks!
Maarten

Boppie

Re: balance when bending over
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 11:07:24 pm »
Just keep bending and squatting while holding on.  The balance problem will go away in time.  Keep the muscles for this movement developed and strong.  Use the balls of your feet more than you used to.  The balls of the feet are better balance sensors.  You will amaze yourself in a few months.

I am 13 months post op and bend over, squeegie the shower, climb on ladders, walk in the dark, etc. - no problem now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:09:21 pm by Boppie »

TastyKakeman

• 2.0cm removed John Hopkins Dr Henry Brem .
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 10:50:52 am »
Hi all,  I am 4 months post-op and I am still having problems with my balance. I attend PT Twice a week. They work on my vestibular and strength in my legs. So far the vestibular is a waste of time and I work on my balance by walking on the treadmill. Be careful and hold on . Rest when you need to. I am coming close to leaving the PT and do the exercising at home. Left side paralyzed and no hearing my left eat. My operation was 9 hours. Keep bending and squatting to build up those muscles . 

Bob
Bob

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 11:02:02 pm »
Hi Maarten,
  The bending and squatting gets better but takes a long time and a lot of patience.  You have to practice it!  I still have trouble if I'm at the store and need to see something on the bottom shelf.  I'm sure I look like at idiot and I can't balance like I used to so I just sit (plop is more like it) then have trouble getting up.  The more I do the easier it is.

M

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 12:50:09 am »
It is better to do exercises to build up the balance in ankles and feet and leave the actual squats and bends until later.  I have some exercises that have helped and I go back to them once in a while.  Walk along a wall while touching it lightly as you walk raising up on the balls of the feet with each step.   As you improve walk this way without touching the wall.  Walk along a curb or narrow board. 

Other exercise...lightly bounce on a mini tramp doing various leg moves while holding onto a chair or mantle.  Later do this hands free.

sodagal

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 03:32:43 pm »
Keep on holding on! I have been post op for 14 months and it is still hard sometimes for me to balance myself when squatting.  I learned at therapy to get one of those exercise balls and lay over it tummy side down and take your arms and put out in front of you and you can also alternate with your legs by extending out too. do rt leg and lt arm etc. This is suppose to help your muscles gain back their feeling of balance etc.  :)
33 years old female
Had a baby 10/7/05 and AN surgery on 12/9/05.  AN was 2.5x2.7 with a cyst-
Northeast Baptist Hospital- San Antonio,Texas- Dr. Holger Skerhut

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 03:09:11 pm »
maarten:

I'm 10 months post-op and have no real balance problem when squatting, which I don't do very often, anyway.  I walk a lot and try to be as physically sctive as I always was, pre-AN.  However, as I'm fully aware of possible balance limitations, I don't do anything that might hurt me if I fell or stumbled.  Time, practice and moderation are all factors in regaining balance proficiency, but it can be done.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.