Author Topic: Facial Twitching  (Read 5527 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Facial Twitching
« on: February 01, 2007, 08:57:18 am »
Two years after my first surgery and 1 year after my last surgery, I'm not having facial twitching by my nose under my eye. Anyone know what this is, or what it means? Is this nerve regeneration? fatigue?

Thanks

amymeri

Re: Facial Twitching
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 07:15:47 pm »
I am not totally familiar with your case.  You have facial paralysis, right?  I think twitching is a good sign that there is some nerve function/regeneration!  So, I think its good news!

:)
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Dfcman

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 07:37:53 pm »
I had something similar right after surgery..that could be nerve generation or the facial muscles on the opposite side of your face pulling them.  I had a  procudure called an EMG where they would stick a small very painless needle in my face and give my face very slight electrical shocks and it would see if my facial muscles would work.  Kinda similar to an EKG but its on your face instead of your chest.  Maybe your PC doctor can prescribe you to see one of these doctors.  HIGHLY recommend it.
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 10:27:00 am »
My facial pt said that is the nerve trying to fire. Hopefully a good sign of things to come.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

matti

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 10:52:00 am »
I had facial paralysis and experienced  twitching and tingling. My doctors told me it was nerve regeneration. Mine first started at the corner of my mouth and side of my nose and those were the two areas that I first felt movement.  Keep in mind that it is a slow process once it starts, but that's OK, because you are  moving in the right direction. From my experience I would say what you are feeling is a very good sign!

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 08:40:19 pm »
Scott you said NOT having facial twitching..do you mean you are?

How's my sweetie pie? (no not you LOL) ;D

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 03:54:41 pm »
I'm good, oh, you mean Addison   :D  She's wonderful ... here's a recent photo ...

That was a typo, I do have twitching which I really think HAS to be a good thing, but my Neuro said that it's probably just fatigue? Talk about a downer. I don't even understand what that means. I'm just going to pretend that it's regenerating   :)

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 03:37:50 am »
Scott: sounds like synkinesis to me. ( an involuntary movement of that part of your face when another part moves). I have this....examples include when I yawn my eye on the "bad side" closes,when I smile the bad side tightens. Talk to your neurologist.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 07:18:02 am »
Hi Scott:  Like Chris said, you may want to check into getting a facial EMG - I've had 2 so far since my surgery, the first 4 months after & the second 7 months after - the last one showed 10-15% nerve generation even though I still don't have movement.
My neurologist told me it could be a year & a half before movement starts (if it does).

Best wishes,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 07:24:46 am »
She's growing up to be such a cutie pie!  Give her some big sloppy kisses from me!

I get buzzing and tingling in my face but have been told it's going to be forever numb  >:(  I was told that it could take up to 18 mos before I saw any improvement so let's hope yours is coming back!  I like to play the let's pretend game too.  Sometimes it makes it all easier to deal with  ;)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 08:25:09 am »
Yeah, I just don't know if I should give up hope or keep thinking that it'll come back someday.

redgrl

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 03:23:31 pm »
Scott i have to say that your little one is sooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 04:15:09 pm »
Thanks! We like her   :)

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 01:04:43 am »
Scott: don't ever give up hope for improvement. Nerves take a very long time to repair and recover. Just take it as it comes.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)