Author Topic: happy ending  (Read 3950 times)

sonya

happy ending
« on: January 31, 2007, 07:55:32 pm »
I am a little late in writing . I had surgey( trans lab ) on 9/6/06 for a tumor that was 11mm/17mm on the right side. I went in on wed. and come home on Sat.I wanted to go home Friday but they said no and I went back to work in 7 weeks .I live in Troy Pa and I went to University of Pensylvania. My Drs were Dr Judy and Dr Bigalow This web sight was the best thing for my recovery .I know that alot of things could of gone wrong and I am thankful to be perpared for it and even more thankful that it didnt . I really wasnt scared before the surgey because I was so well informed but as they were wheeling me in then I started to feel it  I had a good suport system at home. The only thing that I have left over is some short term memory .My boss is always telling me something and I have to go back and ask him what he said ( makes him mad ) but he is good about it he was also an important part of my recovery and I lost my hearing(right side) but I can live with that.They told me I would be completely deaf so to my surprise when I had a hearing test at work I still had some hearing left and if I put my husbands hearing aid on ( deaf from birth ) I could hear quite well       I hope I can help any one who needs it with my experience

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: happy ending
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:14:37 am »
Sonya! Congrats! Congrats! :)  You sound like you are doing wonderful and that you are on the wonderful path of being a "postie" (post-treatment).  I know going back to work can be tough after any AN treatment, so please... if you get frustrated with memory issues and such, hopefully, co-workers and your boss will remain understanding to the situation, you will be fine... My new mantra... "day by day, inch by inch"... you can only do the best you can. 

So, thrilled to hear you are doing well!  Continued wellness to you!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Denise

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:06:21 am »
Sonya,
Better late than never. Its good to hear about your positive AN experience. 

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 03:51:41 pm »
sonya

I love happy endings.  :)  Congratulations!
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

redgrl

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 05:38:47 pm »
I love happy endings to!!!!! Congrats!!!! ;D
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 05:47:08 pm »
It was great reading your email today as I am trying to get everything together to take with me to Los Angeles for retrosigmoid surgery on February 16, 2007.  I will be so happy when my surgery is over and hopefully post how well it turned out.  You sound like it was a breeze...and I know it was not!  Anyway you sound positive and that's how I am going into my surgery.   :D
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 09:05:46 pm »
HI Sonya, Congrats!  Thanks for checking back in.  Are you going to get hearing aids for yourself?

cookiesecond

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 09:25:55 pm »
Hi Sonya,
Good news is always welcome!!!!! I am so happy things are going good for you. I pray soon all will be better. Be patience with yourself and I trust the memory will continue to improve.
Take care,
Lynn

Stevey

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »
Hi Sonya,

I had a great experience with Drs. Judy and Bigelow as well, they kept my wife informed all day as to how things went and post-op they have been tremendous.  Dr. Bigelow is so serious sometimes though, kinda scared me at first but as someon with a scientific background, I appreciated his fact-based manner.  Dr. Judy is a great guy and I feel lucky to haqve gotten the advice to see him, my wife is a Prof at Penn and all of the oncologists recommended Dr. J.

Work is tough some times for me too, the hearing I have to watch because I own my own company and have to ensure clients and I are on same page,

Cheers,

Steve
2 cm Left Acoustic Neuroma Remved on 1/31/07
Via Retro Sigmoid resection at Hospital of U of Penn - complete removal by Drs. Judy and Bigelow.
Deaf in Left ear.  Looking at TransEar for dealing with SSD