Author Topic: I'm Back  (Read 5318 times)

addictedtohorses

I'm Back
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:24:45 pm »
Just getting back on for the first time after surgery January 11, 2007.  My tumor was small (10mm x 6mm) but they said it was corkscrewed with the hearing nerve so we are really happy we followed the doctor's recommendation and did not delay.  My hearing is gone but there was no facial nerve involvement which was the bigger concern to me.  They had to cut a bone that it was growing on both sides of but did not have to cut the hearing nerve - they said it was "mangled" so I am not counting on it to regenerate.  I did a lot of balance therapy before surgery and have had very little problems with balance and nausea so far although today was my worst day so far with balance and I've been home almost two weeks (I think I'm just overtired today though).   Main problems so far are high blood pressure and pulse rate, and my taste buds are really wacky.  We have been staying with my folks so that someone is with me during the day.  My husband drove me the 9 miles to our house to visit my animals (4 horses, 10 cats, 1 pig, 1 dog, 7 chickens, 1 duck, 1 goose) and we were  only there for an hour and it took me all day to recuperate.  I was happy to see them all but I have to say after I saw what husband and son did to the house the two nights they stayed there since surgery and going back and forth to feed animals I am in less of a hurry to go home!!!   Anyhow, I am feeling very thankful for all the prayers that went up and the therapy before surgery and for great surgeons.  This is a club that sucks to be in but once you're in it, it is nice to have an outlet like this website for questions and support, so thanks to you all too.  I haven't posted much but I've read and learned a lot.  Susan

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: I'm Back
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 08:51:36 pm »

Hi Susan,

So glad to hear everything is going okay, as expected post op (believe it or not).

Remember to let your body rest.  Take it easy for at least another month or so.
  My blood pressure went up too (like 168/116, so now I'm on an antihypertensive - stayed high after discharge).

Keep a peaceful heart on your journey,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:19:31 am »
Hi Susan,

So happy that you are on the road to recovery.  I'm sure you have missed all your animals and were glad to get to see them, even if it took the wind out of your sails for awhile.  Look upon this time as a good chance to get caught up on daytime tv, or magazines, or a good book (I recommend Marley and Me, if you haven't read it).  Watch some movies, if you want or just gaze out the window and watch the birds.  Listen to some restful music and learn to meditate.  This is your time to rest and heal. 

Continued best wishes for a fast road to recovery.

(Another Susan)

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 04:04:11 pm »
Susan

so thrilled to see you back and hear that you are doing well. Thrilled to hear you got to visit home to your "Noah's Ark" and I bet they all lined up, 2 by 2, to see how their "mom" is doing.  Please please listen to your body, rest when needed and day by day, inch by inch.

Onward and upward to continued wellness. Hang in there!  And... congrats on being a "postie"!  Woohoo! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

okiesandy

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 04:36:47 pm »
Welcome to the other side. I milestone down and a few more to go. As a fellow horse lover 8 of these huge babies.  I did not have surgery I had CK and I am back to riding my horses (some of them). Cautiously I wll admit.
Just the movement of them around me bothered me for quite a while. I was also too tired to be around them. I talked with another AN person who has horse babies and she is a cutting horse woman. She competes and is a surgery postie. She gave me a lot of pointers and they have all worked.

Recovery can be slow, determination plays a huge role and rest is a huge requirement. There is a life after AN. Everyone has their own recovery rate. You are on your way girl

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)