Author Topic: Going to the gym  (Read 7205 times)

maarten

Going to the gym
« on: January 25, 2007, 10:03:32 am »
I've just started going to the gym again following surgery. My surgeon gave permission to start working out again. However, I noticed that after doing just about 5 mins of exercise, headaches occur and my head feels as if it's about to explode. Awful. This morning also woke up with headache, after having gone to the gym briefly last night.

Does anyone have similar experiences or can you offer advice as to what to do? I'm really keen to start working out again and shed some of the extra weight I put on since the surgery..

I'm off to enjoy the rest of the day now before snow starts falling again..bye now

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Going to the gym
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:23:35 am »
Hi maarten,

Same issue post Cyberknife... I now have "exertional headaches" and can be caused from our AN issues (skull based tumors can bring them on), as well as heart related (when the heart rate increases during the workout).

I have had all cardio follow ups done as well as continued watching my AN necrosis (tumor death) from CK.

Exertional headaches are a total pain and now prevents me from doing certain activities that increases heart rate, so I have to take things slowly.

Web info available regarding exertional headaches. You may want to note it to your primary care physician (or whoever is monitoring you now, post surgery) so they can determine if exertional headaches are what you are experiencing.

Just a thought.... will see what others have to say as well. I do believe Capt'n Deb (hopefully) will chime in as she suffers from Cluster Headaches.

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tony

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 12:19:26 pm »
I saw your note - its unclear how recent or how major
your surgery was -so confer with the doc here etc
This could be a long road, so take your time
and dont over do it - there is no prize for first recovery
(or fastest hospital re-admission....)
Get well soon !
Tony

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 03:42:07 pm »
maarten,
Those exertion headaches are pretty common post-surgery. Just take it easy and work on just walking on the treadmill for now. Also, let us know when your surgery was and the approach and size of your tumor--you can add a "signature" to all your posts by using the "modify forum profile" function. I still get them, but it takes way more exertion than it used to to trigger them.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 08:14:44 am »
Maarten,

I read your previous posts that indicate that you had a 5cm An removed by suboccipital approach at NYU recently ( I hope I got it right). I also had a huge AN removed by suboccipital approach at NYU 18 years ago and experienced headaches for 10 years afterwards. First of all, suboccipital is notorious for its headaches. In addition, the way the surgeons close it might contribute to the problem as well. I had it partially covered with a metal plate and a muscle flap inserted into the area that does not have a metal plate.  This is a very old-fashioned but very well-known cause for those exertional headaches. Please, find out how they did it.

I experienced exactly what you describe and the headaches were unbelievable. I am now preparing for my next surgery as I experienced a re-growth and just stepped up my exercise routine. Guess what, I woke up with an exertional headache yesterday, although a mild one.

Basically, in suboccipital approach, neck muscles are cut and when they heal, they form scars and adhesions that pull on exertion and cause headaches. The way to allow yourself to exercise more is to change the approach and be prepared for inevitable headaches in the morning which eventually will go away once the body will get used to a particular exercise regimen. Once that happens, you will have headaches only when you introduce new exercises.

First of all, do as much stretching as possible. Yoga is really good. Start small, see how your body adjusts. If runnning on a treadmill gives you a headache because of bouncing, walk or fast walk. Be careful with weights, even light ones because they tense the muscles and you need to massage your neck before you go to bed. I have a few of those neck massagers and the shiatsu one works best for me. it literally kneads my neck like dough and breaks up all the tension. In the morning, be prepared with medication - whatever works for you. In my case, Indocin suppositories because I was also throwing up.

It is possible to get back to an active life after this but sometimes it takes a lot longer than we want to.Start small, be consistent, keep a diary and try to note what type of exercise gives you problem. Work up in small increments. Best wishes!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 02:17:24 pm »
Great advice Eve. Thanks for posting. I've noticed that sleeping on my stomach provides some neck stretching that doesn't seem to trigger headaches as much as it used to. It is really encouraging to hear that you were able to work at getting the scar tissue and adhesions loosened to help relax the muscles and allow you to exercise. I used to go to the gym prior to surgery and went once after surgery. The headache problem turned my work out into torture session. I quit my membership. Thanks for the inspiration.

I used to work in the OR and I know there are products out there that are used in surgery to reduce the chance of adhesions. I do remember it was expensive. It comes in a thin mesh and creates a barrier. (I can't remember the brand names.) I've never heard of it used in AN surgical wound closure. I know it would be on my list of questions, if I was faced with another surgery. Are they taking the same approach with your next surgery? It will be interesting to see if a scar revision will cure your headaches if they use the same surgical site. Have you looked at the scar neuroma thread?

Janet

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

jerseygirl

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 04:36:16 pm »
Janet,

Regarding my second, upcoming surgery, I was recommended everything, literally, by the different surgeons I visited: using the same opening, translab (another hole in the head), different place but small incision in edoscopic. Let me tell you, when I was talking about headaches, the surgeons were not very concerned either because it was not on their list of the outcomes or the method itself, like translab, is not associated with headaches. It was my number two question after inquiry about the facial nerve. I asked each surgeon either not to touch the muscle flap or redo it completely. If the doctor did not take it very seriously, I simply stated half-jokingly: "If you go for my neck, I will go for yours". They got the point.

Whatever method I choose, I expect additional headaches either because the scar revison will give them to me while healing or the muscle flap will start tensing because I will not be following my exercise routine. After surgery I will have to work up to my previous activity level exactly the same way I described: slowly, consistently and persistently. Once I am there, the headaches will diminish. Giving up is just the wrong thing to do.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 01:41:41 am »
Eve,

Did you see the thread  "Anyone told they have a "scar neuroma" from cranial incision?" It is under Post Treatment somewhere. Maybe this doctor from Georgetown is on to something. The nerves attach to the scar and when you move, pain, headaches and tightning result.

Best Wishes for a headache free outcome!

Janet

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

SorchaC

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 05:12:12 am »
Hi Maarten,

It does get better....
I could hardly do anything, and then only things that were in an upright position for about 18months post op. Now 4 years on I am able to exert myself to where I am actually building up my strength again... Running is still hit and miss.. the impacts of hitting the road is usually too much, and contact sports are out due to the hole in my head... but even the impact of hitting a bag is too much most of the time...
But, onwards and upwards...

It does get better...
All the best,
Sorcha