Author Topic: AN growing plus arachnoid cyst after radiation?  (Read 2671 times)

john twoffer

• Acoustic Neuroma Foundation
AN growing plus arachnoid cyst after radiation?
« on: January 23, 2007, 03:52:18 pm »
My AN was treated with FSR in 2000, 5 gray x 5 days, now it seems to be growing from 5x7x9 mm to 3 mm larger or so in each dimension. Plus there is an arachnoid cyt appearing 9 months ago, and doubling in size 6 months ago. The cyst is 19 mm in the largest dimension. What would you do if you were me? I'm 48 years old but in poor health neurologically from previous injuries and drug toxicities. Not sure I am healthy enough for surgery, but if I have to, I have to.
I have the pain and pressure in my head again, and what I call the tumor headache again. All symtoms did go away about 2 hours after FSR for a few years. Hearing is still present in my AN ear, but I am losing voice discrimination in that ear.
Thanks.
Acoustic Neuroma and Cyst in my head.
I volunteer at:
www.AcousticNeuromaFoundation.org

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: AN growing plus arachnoid cyst after radiation?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 04:02:24 pm »
John,

Oh, somewhat in your shoes.

CK last year, but also discovered (at same time of AN), a chroidial cyst midbrain, as well as Chiari 1 malformation... as well as my other medical issues.. and to think, I'm only a young (OMG!  :o) upcoming 46!)

I thought radio-surgery can be re-performed. Have you had a chance to speak to the dr's on the Cyberknife Patient Support Board?  (http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/).  These are docs that volunteer their time, do many forms of treatment (ie: Gammaknife AND Cyberknife) and are VERY well versed in radio and surgical protocols.  They may be able to offer ideas to you.  Just a thought.....

Please keep in mind MRI's have a +/- 2mm, so it may not have shrunk or have minimal growth but you should still be ok. My understanding (from a radio-surgical standpoint) is that although the AN MAY shrink slightly, that is not the ultimate goal of the radiosurgery... which is to kill the core DNA of the growth to prevent further growth.  As long as the growth is stunted, then all is going according to plan as long as the core DNA is dying it's lovely death.  Anyone else want to chime in thoughts on this past comment, please do.

Hang in there.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"