Author Topic: eye weight questions  (Read 4426 times)

amylynn

eye weight questions
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:11:47 pm »
Hi all! I am 13 weeks post op and still cannot close my left eye all the way. It is uncomfortable unless I put in lacrilube day and night.  I have to be able to see well at work and the lube makes it very difficult.  I dont feel i can wait any longer to get the eye weight.  Can the procedure be done with a local?  Does it leave a scar?  Does it improve appearance of eye?  Is anyone sorry they got it?  If the muscle begins to work again how can you tell ?  Will I be able to work within a day or two?  I have the option for plastic surgeon vs. eye doctor.  Any recommendations, advice ?  Thanks,  Amylynn
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: eye weight questions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 12:38:51 pm »
Hi Amylynn:  Sorry to hear you're having the eye problems. 
                  I had the gold weight put in 1 month after AN surg. due to facial paralysis,
                  couldn't close eye at all.  I had it done outpt, put in a sorta twilight sleep
                  because the doctor needed me to follow directions to 'close eye' during surg.
                  No visible scar (I've had swelling & redness on upper lid - VERY UNUSUAL - I may have
                  an allergy to the gold).   Getting it was the best thing I could have done - looks better than
                  before;  however, I still put Refresh eye lubricant in about 5x or more a day due to the dryness.
                  It does leave me with blurry vision, difficult at work but, like anything, you get use to it.
                  I'd probably opt for a plastic surgeon, if that doctor does these often.  If not, eye surgeon should be okay.
                  Dr. Jewett, who did mine, works under the ENT group, but he does alot of work with Cancer pts,
                  skin grafting for holes left in face from Ca. removal, eye surg. (like this), also makes ears for children without.
                  I would ask the doctor if he has pictures of before & after surgery, that's what I did.

All the best Amylynn,     Nancy

ps.  I forgot, if your eye muscles come back, it can be removed.  Also, Dr. Jewett told me the weight should be changed every 5 years.  He showed me a picture of a man who didn't go back in 5 years,  the gold weight broke through the eyelid.
     I think when the muscle begins to work you'll know it !!!!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:50:18 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis