Author Topic: Results of Surgery At Barrow's Neurological in Phoenix  (Read 5099 times)

richard

Results of Surgery At Barrow's Neurological in Phoenix
« on: January 22, 2007, 06:59:19 pm »
Quick Recap
I was diagnosed with an appx. 1 cm acoustic neuroma on left side in 1st week of October 06
Early on I had balance issues that went away.-probably a year before diagnosis.
Diminished hearing and growing tinnitus caused me to seek medical help which lead to diagnosis.
First doctor recomended translab and would probaly have done a good job, but emotionally I had problems with translab, and I still had I would guess 70% of my hearing.
Good friends turned me on to Dr. Daspit and Dr. Spetzler at Barrow's Neurological Institute where they have a special department for Acoustic Neuromas.  Check the web site.
On the morning of January 17 I went in for a left retro sigmoid.
The operation was very successfull.  They shaved the tumor of the vestibulary nerve with no further damage.
At this point about 5 days post op I have no facial problems, my hearing may actually be better(can't be sure yet) with greately reduced tinnitus, and I've been going for walks-but maybe a little unsteady. Until all the swelling goes down the dust won't really be settled.

This site has been invaluable hope and support.
I'm not a big poster but I love you all.
I am now going to eat Pizza and then go for a long walk
Richard

Obita

Re: Results of Surgery At Barrow's Neurological in Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 08:02:28 pm »
Hello Richard the Postie!!

Great to hear from you and what great news that you are DONE and doing fine. 

Thanks for checking in.  Not rushing into surgery saved your hearing. 

Good luck to you,  Kathy

ps:  how was the much deserved pizza?  is your taste OK?
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

richard

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 09:13:23 pm »
Kathy

The Pizza was great.  If your ever in the Ahwatukee section of Phoenix you've got to try Florencia's.  I have no taste problems, and as swelling reduces I am fully apprechiating what a close call all this has been.  I know House clinic is a great place, but Daspit and Spetzler here in Phoenix are really really good.  I guess I stress that for the those just finding out that they've got a major issue on their hands.  My tinnitus was so bad it was like I was living at the airport.  Now the room seems so quite, but I can hear!  I can hear!

Richard

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
Yeah! Pizza
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 10:32:25 pm »
Richard! Right on! Glad to hear your surgery went well and glad you are tasting the Pizza.. take care of yourself- Annie ;)
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 10:56:01 pm »
We're doing the pirate happy dance for Richard.  Sounds like you had an awesome outcome!  YEAH!!!  Keep up the walking and don't forget to rest when you need to!

Lorenzo

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 01:15:31 am »
Fantastic news! About the pizza too of course... :)
Spetzler is one of THE top neurosurgeon in the world! His reputation is worldwide. I even considered going to him at one time before I knew anything about Ck and FSR in general. HE's known for doing surgeries that others would not tackle. I came across an article about Spetzler in a Swiss newspaper that my brother sent me, and it was about a life saving surgery he performed on the journalist that wrote it! Amazing stuff, amazing guy!
Well done Richard, gald you're doing so well!
Does the pizza place deliver to Ireland?   ;D
Ciao, Lorenzo

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 02:22:00 am »
Richard, sounds like life is good in your corner of the world.  So happy for you.  Oprah had a show recently about the top Pizza places in the country and one was in Phoenix, but now I can't remember the name of the place. Maybe it's the place you mentioned.  Long lines waiting to get in and he doesn't deliver. Wants it to be fresh, fresh, fresh and the owner is the only cook.  Something like that.  Sounded wonderful to me, although I don't, actually can't, eat much pizza anymore.  Guess I could just eat the topping part and not eat the crust.  Hmmmm, there's a thought.  All that yummy dough makes the blood sugar go through the pizzaria roof!  Oooo, getting so hungry! 

Enjoy the silence, because most of us really, really, really miss it.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Quailruner

• Kung Pow that AN thing
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 09:53:57 am »
Hey Richard,

Great to hear another Arizonie is tumor free.
Sounds like everthing went great, and now just the road to recovery.
Wishing you the best. You have my support.
Eat lots of pizza, talk to you soon.

Kenn A.
Kenn A. (Peoria AZ)
1.2 x .9 CM AN Right Side
Surgery on 19 Dec 2006 (Middle Fossa)
House Ear Clinic, Los Angles CA
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

shoegirl

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 05:54:15 pm »
Hi Richard,

I too was treated at Barrows.  Daspit was my neuro-ENT, however I had CK.  I have heard amazing things about Dr. Spetzler.  If I would have had microsurgery - he would have been the one I wanted!  So happy to hear you have had great results thus far.  Best wishes in your recovery.

Suzanne 

ps - live in the north valley.

left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 06:14:56 pm »
Ahwatukee!!! I haven't been there since 1982!!! I used to set ceramic tile in one of the early Pulte home tracks there...

Glad you're doing so well. Hopefully the good news wlil keep coming.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 04:07:55 pm »
Hi, Richard:

Thanks for your post (and hope you enjoyed the pizza).  We love success stories!   :)

Just want to add my congratulations and wish you a rapid and total recovery. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeff

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 04:20:36 pm »
Hello all,
I just passed the 5 year anniversary of my AN surgery at Barrow. My tumor was 5 cm. Dr. Spetzler debulked it, trying to preserve my hearing, but alas, it was not to be. However, I can say that my treatment there was excellent and the facility is great!
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08