Author Topic: Usefulness of CROSin SSD AN ear with Phonak hearing aid in good ear  (Read 3975 times)

lauriej49

I am nearing the end of my free trial time using a Phonak hearing aid in my good ear and a Phonak CROS in my totally deaf ear.  So far it doesn't seem worth the high price.  The hearing in my good ear has gone down in recent years (20 years post translab).  Anyone else out
there have experience with CROS plus a hearing aid?
Laurie

Echo

Hi Laurie,

I use the Phonak BiCros with the hearing aid in my good ear. I absolutely love mine.  I've been wearing them daily for over 3 years and noticed a difference right from the day I started wearing them.  I still have some hearing in my AN ear, but it's minimal and useless for people talking when I'm not wearing my Cros. 

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

SET WE300B

Hi Laurie,

I have been wearing the Phonak CROS II for about eight months. I am generally satisfied but I understand your frustration and concern. The Phonak system has a lot of flexibility, but only to a point. I made several visits to my audiologist before I settled on the best setup and tuning scheme for me. She worked with the Phonak program and software and had Phonak technical support on the phone as well. Together we built a custom tuning, that while a bit "out of the box", worked for me. Perhaps you could consult another Phonak fitter for a second opinion. Do not be afraid to ask Phonak for an extension to the trial. Trust me, they don't want it coming back if they can help it.

At the end of the day I can carry on a conversation with my wife, when she is on my deaf side, which would be much more difficult without the hearing aids.

I find the sound quality of the Phonak system to be very good. At times I wish there was a lot more gain available form the non hearing side but there is a limitation to what the technology can provide. I sometimes wish I had the option to trade the high quality sound field for a mike and a loud PA system strapped to my head.

Previously I have worn the Soundbite system (until it/they died) and then had a promising experience with the TransEar device that I had to ultimately reject due to a peculiar issue with tinnitus. I tried the BaHa demonstrator but was not convinced enough to warrant the surgical approach.

Roger

gunns

Re: Usefulness of CROSin SSD AN ear with Phonak hearing aid in good ear
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 04:16:19 pm »
Im three weeks post-op (retro-sig).  Unfortunately I lost all hearing on my left AN side permanently as I'm told.  I was informed by the audiologist of all my options and was advised that the Bi-Cros best fits my situation.  My good (right) ear has a fair amount of high frequency loss.  So that unit is on my short list but have problems with behind-the-ear (BTE) aids.  I'm very active even at 69 years.  I was also giving thought to just one high quality in-the-ear (ITE) hearing aid for my right ear only in hope it could overcome some of the head shadow effect.  I have since become aware that Phonek makes an ITE version.  Here are my questions:

1.    If Phonek indeed makes ITE Bi-Cros aids has anyone tried them and how well do they work?
2.    Can you get them with "T-Coil" installed?
3.    Can you get them and a control app for your iPhone?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:36:19 pm by gunns »