Author Topic: Alternative medicine  (Read 6255 times)

Ellid

Alternative medicine
« on: January 16, 2007, 03:19:06 pm »
Now we come to the questions about alternative medicine...I've already decided to resume tai chi lessons as a way of improving my balance and preparing for whatever comes.  However, a co-worker is urging me to go to alternative providers, and was *very* insistent that I see a craniosacral therapist.  This is a treatment that allegedly "rebalances" the cerebralspinal fluid and promotes health, wellness, etc.

I personally see no value whatsoever in this, since the tumor has zero to do with my CFS.  I've already told her that there are only two real treatments, and that ANs are not known to respond to acupunture, Rolfing, the  Alexander technique, herbs, chiropractic, or anything similar...but she left the card for the cranialsacral therapist on my desk and told me to get a referral since she takes insurance!

What can I do to stop this, besides smiling politely and saying that my case is being monitored by an excellent doctor?  Help?

Lisa

Diagnosed 12/8/06 with 1.6 x 1.4 x 1.3 cm AN right side.  Currently on watch-and-wait with Dr. Michael McKenna, Mass Eye & Ear Infirmary, Boston.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Alternative medicine
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 03:34:09 pm »
Lisa,

gonna lurk this one as I have my own thoughts and such... will hold off until I see how others reply.... no biggie. :)

*pulls up lounge chair and dry martini, extra olives, to see/hear other's inputs*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:54:47 pm »
What can I do to stop this, besides smiling politely and saying that my case is being monitored by an excellent doctor?  Help?

Lisa

That's the same line I use for all unsolicited advice!   LOL!

I get "helpful tidbits" all the time when I'm out with my boys (maybe I look like a bad mom?!?!).  Most of the time I say "thank you," occasionally followed by "we're following the advice of our pediatrician."  That line has worked on my in-laws, too.   ;)

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:09:05 am »
Lisa,

gonna lurk this one as I have my own thoughts and such... will hold off until I see how others reply.... no biggie. :)

*pulls up lounge chair and dry martini, extra olives, to see/hear other's inputs*

Phyl

Can I join you with a Irish Whiskey ?  8)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 11:29:46 pm »
Boy phyl at the rate you're going you're going to turn into an alkie  LOL
Geesh and you never share...ok, so I'm a lightweight  LOL

I just read somewhere that if someone asks you a question that is on the rude side you're suppose to smile and say and why do you want to know....I say smile and say thanks I'll take your iput under advisement (and throw the card away in front of her  LOL No really I'm not that mean) 

TaiChi is great for regaining balance.  They do it with the elderly at the rehab place I went to.  In the beginning those 80 year olds had better balance than I did so I wouldn't play with them  LOL

Denise

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 07:26:10 am »
I guess I would just say "Thanks for caring" and leave it at that. And then throw the card away in front on them. Depending on the day and how pushy my co-worker was, i could probably be that mean.   (you know on a bad day)

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

matti

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 10:07:09 am »
I have met many "unsolicited helpers" along the way and although they mean well, can be quite annoying. Best advice since it is a co-worker and you have to see her daily, is to say "thank you for your concern, but right now I am feeling confident about my treatment plan, and I will certainly look into this if things don't work out". 

hang in there!

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 10:13:13 pm »
Hey Lisa & the rest of the gang: you are all too nice and polite, if it were me, I would tell her to go ....  (I'll let you all fill in the blanks as needed or preferred).  Or at least growl like Brucifer!  However she is a coworker so you might tell her that you are seeking alternative light therapy to shrink the tumor by installing full spectrum lightbulbs in your house! (I used to sell organic fruit so I would run into a lot of alternative types).  If this doesn't get her to shut up, maybe you can trip her and then say- Oh so sorry, it's my lack of balance! I know I'm burning in He!! for that thought.  I know she is trying to help but worse case scenario if she persists, you should speak to human resources about her or your boss. However, I suspect she is like this with all people no matter what the sympton.  You might suggest to her that you are in contact with a pear grower that recommends strong beverages for rejuvination from her cocktail expert Phyl! (Say Phyl do you like mojitos? I'm nuts about them these days)...But then I also love martinis.  Take care Lisa- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 10:59:23 pm »
LOVE Mojitos, love Grey Goose Martinis (extra olives) and G.G. Bloody Mary's... shame I only drink 1x/yr.  :)

Also love my tai chi, love my yoga (miss doing it terribly) and enjoy massage therapy with reiki.... anyone else?

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 06:21:45 pm »
That is a bummer! Although I have found in recent years, I can't handle "the truth" or at least the cocktail truth! And wine is a killer the next day..... take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys