Author Topic: Excessive Sleepiness  (Read 4191 times)

Catflower

Excessive Sleepiness
« on: January 15, 2007, 10:17:05 am »
I was wondering if any of you experienced excessive sleepiness before treatment.  I get sleepy 4 or 5 hours after I get up and stay that way until I take an afternoon nap (if I can work it in).  It doesn't matter if I get 6 hours or 10 hours at night I'm just extremely sleepy during the day.

Linda

Lorenzo

Re: Excessive Sleepiness
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:48:01 am »
Intersting that. I didn't have that problem before treatment. certainly had it very strongly after CK. Still do on occasions, but rarely. It's more the oppsite now.
Ciao, Lorenzo

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 11:16:19 am »
Hi,

I was extremely sleepy before my treatment. In fact, I could not wake up on my own, somebody had to shake me from sleep. It was not unusual for me to sleep until 2 PM on the weekend until somebody finally stormed into the room, completely disgusted. I was also falling asleep at late night parties we went to; I have a lot of pictures to prove it. All of this was gone after surgery, although my party time was completely over because of headaches. I was explained that the reason for this sleepiness is the pressure on the brain by a huge tumor that I had. I don't know if that is really your case since your tumor is smaller and presumably there is no pressure on the brain but it seems An can give you anything! Best wishes to you; your tumor is not big, so there is an overwhelming chance you will come out of any tretment without any major complications.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 03:40:43 pm »
I was very tired before surgery and could fall asleep anytime. The surgeon said my tumor was pressing on the brainstem and that was the most likely cause.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Raydean

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 03:45:33 pm »
The symptom of being excessively sleepy should be brought to your Doctor's attention.  it could be as simple as the body being tired from working so hard to stay in balance, but it could also be a symptom of a medical problem.  Might be best to run it by your Doctor.

best to you
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 04:15:54 pm »
Yep had that sleepy problem big time!  All I wanted to do was sleep.  Funny it didn't occur to me that I had a problem until after diagnosis.  Like Raydean said I'd talk to the doctor. I know for me my brain stem was compromised and my balance was such it took a lot of me trying to stay upright.

M

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 04:28:00 pm »
I was noticably sleepy in the weeks before I was diagnosed.  I was even 'too tired' to use the computer and I often dozed off while sitting in a recliner.  This was later diagnosed as a symptom of the AN pressing on my brainstem.  Once I had surgery (to 'de-bulk' the tumor) the tiredness disappeared.  I'm fine, now.   :)
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.