Author Topic: Restrictions following surgery  (Read 7762 times)

Catflower

Restrictions following surgery
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:53:04 am »
I am facing surgery for a 2 cm AN soon.  I see the surgeon January 22nd and a date will be set at that time.  I hope it's soon because I feel like I'm losing my mind from anxiety.  Anyway, I was wondering what the typical restrictions are following surgery and for how long (like lifting, driving, etc)

Linda in WV

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Restrictions following surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 10:16:35 am »
Hi Linda:

First off I wish you all the best.
Well, everyone's post op journey is unique, but most have headaches, balance issues, fatigue -
i personally had bad headaches daily for about 3 weeks, the fatigue is improving but still there,
balance issues are just now improving (I've been going for balance therapy 3 months).
One of the most important things post op is to REST, REST, REST.  Your body will dutifully let you know when it's time for a nap.
Those of us with facial paralysis have eye issues (dry eye due to eyelids not closing), eating & drinking difficulties, also speaking difficulties.
(Hopefully you won't be in this small group post op).
Have someone to help around the house for at least the first 2 weeks.   I started driving 3 weeks post op, 2 weeks after returning home.
Have food prepared, laundry done, etc.  prior to surgery.
Again, all the best to you Linda,  take care,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Obita

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 10:29:01 am »
Hi Linda - Welcome!!

Once the surgery date was set, most of the anxiety was lifted.  Then, I was anxious to get it over with. 

My surgery was three years ago this May so my memory is a little foggy.  I think the no heavy lifting restriction was for the first month.  You can't take a chance on a CF leak. Plus, I remember no bending over to pick stuff up off the floor (I bought a reacher and used it many times.  I was always dropping stuff).  Don't worry about what to do and what not to do, they send you home with a list of instructions. 

The driving thing seems to be when you feel comfortable with it.  I drove myself to the eye doctor about day 12.  It was only a few miles from my home and no interstate driving.  The biggest problem with driving is turning your head.  Your neck will be very stiff.

My post op was very uneventful.  I wish the same for you

Good luck to you and if you need anything,  send me a note.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

block

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 10:48:10 am »
Hey Catflower...I will be "celebrating" my 1 year surgery anniversary on Jan.25th.Every case is different but I was way concerned about what restrictions I would have to deal with after surgery.My Doc's instructed me to not attempt to drive for 3 weeks,although I did make a quick drive to the library after 10 days or so but I would not advise it.The only other restriction was not to pick up anything and strain myself for 6 weeks.I think this is something they really want you to follow.My Docs told me that walking was not a problem in fact it was required.For me the worst part of the entire episode was the 36 hours following surgery.My head never hurt at all but stomach was upset and I had trouble holding any food down.Sort of reminded me a a very nasty hangover that lasts for a day and half.Drink all the water you can in the days leading up to surgery and then continue this after surgery.I am convinced this speeds up the process of getting all the meds out of your system.You will see progress quickly after you have your surgery.After the initial 36 hours my recovery was real quick so just tough it out for 36 hours and you will most likely be on fast track to feeling better!!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 11:05:25 am »
OH YEAH,
BLOCK IS RIGHT, I forgot about the NO STRAINING, in fact, my docs had me take Colace twice a day for the first 6 weeks.
Between that & my mom cooking real healthy foods for 2 weeks, I was A-okay !!
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 02:37:52 pm »
I am facing surgery for a 2 cm AN soon.  I see the surgeon January 22nd and a date will be set at that time.  I hope it's soon because I feel like I'm losing my mind from anxiety.  Anyway, I was wondering what the typical restrictions are following surgery and for how long (like lifting, driving, etc)

Linda in WV

My primary restrictions were no lifting until I passed the 4 week post-op check, and no driving until I could turn my head quickly without feeling dizzy.  That took about 4 weeks for me.  Additionally, from a practical standpoint, I couldn't be on my feet for more than a few minutes at a time for the first week.  No cooking, cleaning, etc.  You'll definitely want help for a few weeks.  I have small children, and basically had live-in help for 5 weeks. 

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 10:41:43 am »
Yep no lifting or straining.
Those little gopher reachers for 10.00 are a charm as I was always dropping stuff and couldn't get things out of the dryer. 
Walking is good for you, cleaning is not.  Everyone is different and you'll learn real quick when  you're body is sending you back to bed for rest.  A lot depends on your balance issues after surgery. 

All my best to you!  Let us know how you do after. 

M

LoriLea

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 02:21:47 pm »
Hi There

Still trying to figure out this posting thing :P   I had surgery a week ago today for an AN - Dr Brackmann at House was my surgeon, tumor was 1.8 Cm I believe, used a translab approach.
     I am still trying to work out exactly what I can and can't do myself.  I am feeling pretty good and so far my recovery is going much better than I thought.  Some vertigo and dizziness,  what I consider mild discomfort ( but I have always been prone to headaches, so that is nothing new)  Hard to remember to not lift anything above 10 lbs or bend over.
     If my other post - the long, eloquent one ;) is lost somewhere, i wanted to thank all of you who post so much on here.  The sharing of your knowledge and experiences has really been a comfort for me while going through this!

Lori

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 02:26:47 pm »
Hi Lori:

Remember also, keep the incision site dry.
NO STRAINING - my docs had me on Colace 100mg twice a day for 6 weeks (jeez, i must be getting anal retentive - i've been talking about anal stuff a few times too many lately ! lol).
&, last but not least,
REST, REST, & MORE REST !!!
Glad to hear you're doing so well (You definitely go on the Olympics AN list !!!).
Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 02:35:14 pm »

.....NO STRAINING - my docs had me on Colace 100mg twice a day for 6 weeks.....

cerebral pressure is also difficult for radio-patients... my Primary Care physician (who is also Chinese and offers up fantastic holistic remedies as well as dispensing meds) told me...

8 oz prune juice
1 tsp honey

Heat in microwave for 45 seconds.
Drink before you go to sleep at night

Guarenteed no "pressure" the next morning... and trust me.. works like a charm. I had issues my 1st week post CK and it worked great. 

Just another remedy to help the cause.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 03:49:19 pm »
Hi Lori:

Remember also, keep the incision site dry.

Nancy

See, this is what I don't get.  My surgeon said it was fine to wash my hair as soon as the pressure dressing came off at 5 days post-op.  The only cautions I was given were to be gentle with the sutures and to pat it dry as soon as I was done.

???

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Obita

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 08:11:29 pm »
I was in the shower the second I got home from getting the pressure bandage off on day 5.  I was told to pat the incision dry then apply a spray they gave me and let that air dry.  The shower was wonderful but boy did my scalp hurt.  Just like if you had your hair in tight pig tails for 5 days!!
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

redgrl

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 08:38:29 pm »
Hi Linda-
Just always remember to take it slow and easy. I was so excited to have it out that i soon as i got home i was trying to take on the world. Ended up with a CFS leak and 8 more days in the hospital. Not trying to scare you sorry.  ;)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 03:32:32 am »
One restiction that is often not stressed enough is do not make any major decisions.....your abilities may be compromised some and you may not make the best decisons.....I did make this mistake after my brain surgeries (both times) and am living to regret it.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

redgrl

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 02:36:10 pm »
I feel you on that one Kathleen!  ;)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.