Author Topic: Has anyone experienced altitude sickness post surgery?  (Read 6648 times)

sherry6

Has anyone experienced altitude sickness post surgery?
« on: January 10, 2007, 01:03:00 am »
Hi all -

I am a flat land girl mostly, but I had the opportunity to visit the Rockies 10 yrs ago and had no problem at high altitudes.  Then 5 yrs ago I had my AN removed and a couple of yrs later visited a high altitude resort again.  This time I was terribly sick.  It never occurred to me that the surgery had anything to do with it until recently after I read an article suggesting brain surgery might contribute to it.  Anyone else notice this sort of change?

Thanks!!

Sherry

Mark

Re: Has anyone experienced altitude sickness post surgery?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 01:23:57 am »
Sherry,

While I currently live in CA, I lived in the Boulder / Denver area for about 10 years and have climbed about half of the "fourteeners" in the state , so I am somewhat familar with Altitude sickness. I have had people I've climbed with or gone skiing with who came from out of state come down with it on one trip and not have a problem the next. I had it a couple of times in the mountains even when I was acclimated , but have had no problems the couple of times I went back since my AN was "zapped". Altitude sickness can be brought on by a variety of factors, particularly not drinking enough liquids ( or drinking the wrong liquids "apres ski  ;) ). I haven't seen the article you mentioned but I wouldn't necessarily make the "jump" that  the surgery and altitude sickness were connected after one event. At least I hope it isn't true as having an AN is tough enough without being deprived of being able to experience the beauty of the high country.  :)

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 04:52:59 am »
Sherry,
I had my surgery seventeen months ago and prior to that I was a sky diver, a bungee jumper, go as as high as you go anywhere person.  Now I get violently ill just going up forty-three floors in an elevator and having to stay at that level for more than a half hour.  Just going from Houston to the Hill Country was rough on me.  I'm praying it gets better as time passes.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Mark

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:05:30 pm »
This comes under the heading of "more than you ever wanted to know about altitude sickness"   :D

From the travel doctor  http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/altitude.htm

It is difficult to determine who may be affected by altitude sickness since there are no specific factors such as age, sex, or physical condition that correlate with susceptibility. Some people get it and some people don't because some people are more susceptible than others.

The Causes of Altitude Sickness

The percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere at sea level is about 21% and the barometric pressure is around 760 mmHg. As altitude increases, the percentage remains the same but the number of oxygen molecules per breath is reduced. At 3,600 metres (12,000 feet) the barometric pressure is only about 480 mmHg, so there are roughly 40% fewer oxygen molecules per breath so the body must adjust to having less oxygen.

In addition, high altitude and lower air pressure causes fluid to leak from the capillaries in both the lungs and the brain which can lead to fluid build-up. Continuing on to higher altitude without proper acclimatisation can lead to the potentially serious, even life-threatening altitude sickness.

Several changes take place in the body which enable it to cope with decreased oxygen:

* The depth of respiration increases.
    * The body produces more red blood cells to carry oxygen.
    * Pressure in pulmonary capillaries is increased, "forcing" blood into parts of the lung which are not normally used when breathing at sea level.
    * The body produces more of a particular enzyme that causes the release of oxygen from haemoglobin to the body tissues.

Some basic guidelines for the prevention of AMS:-

* If possible, don't fly or drive to high altitude. Start below 3,000 metres (10,000 feet) and walk up.
    * If you do fly or drive, do not overexert yourself or move higher for the first 24 hours.
    * If you go above 3,000 metres (10,000 feet), only increase your altitude by 300 metres (1,000 feet) per day, and for every 900 metres (3,000 feet) of elevation gained, take a rest day to acclimatise.
    * Climb high and sleep low! You can climb more than 300 metres (1,000 feet) in a day as long as you come back down and sleep at a lower altitude.
    * If you begin to show symptoms of moderate altitude sickness, don't go higher until symptoms decrease.
    * If symptoms increase, go down, down, down!
    * Keep in mind that different people will acclimatise at different rates. Make sure everyone in your party is properly acclimatised before going any higher.
    * Stay properly hydrated. Acclimatisation is often accompanied by fluid loss, so you need to drink lots of fluids to remain properly hydrated (at least four to six litres per day). Urine output should be copious and clear to pale yellow.
    * Take it easy and don't overexert yourself when you first get up to altitude. But, light activity during the day is better than sleeping because respiration decreases during sleep, exacerbating the symptoms.
    * Avoid tobacco, alcohol and other depressant drugs including, barbiturates, tranquillisers, sleeping pills and opiates such as dihydrocodeine. These further decrease the respiratory drive during sleep resulting in a worsening of symptoms.
    * Eat a high calorie diet while at altitude.
    * Remember: Acclimatisation is inhibited by overexertion, dehydration, and alcohol.

Based on the above, I think a study would have to control for a lot of the issues listed above to definitively link AMS to post brain surgery. Clearly, one of the risks with surgery  is the collateral damage to to all the surrounding structures involved in the removal approach used. Post surgery headaches are fairly well documented as a possibility and I would believe that the changes in pressure at elevation could bring on an increase in those. I see AMS as more of a physiological occurrence related to O2 and dehydration effects and less relevant to a post surgical effect. Just my 2 cents and I've certainly been wrong before

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001