Author Topic: Our Advice to Those Facing Treatment Soon! --> give your advice ANers!  (Read 7006 times)

amymeri

What piece of simple advice would you give those facing treatment?

For instance, I found that the CONSTIPATION after surgery was awful and so my advice might be TAKE THE COLACE and SENOKOT and oohhhh...be prepared.

OR

Get some soft, button front pajamas for your hospital stay and you will feel and look better (I was in for a week).

OR

A soft pillow (like a microbead pillow) is soothing to a sore head after surgery.

What's your advice to the newbies facing treatment?
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Obita

Re: Our Advice to Those Facing Treatment Soon! --> give your advice ANers!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:24:31 pm »
amymeri:

Did you read Ixta's post on "The Best and The Worst"?  It was pretty funny now that THAT part is over for us.

Prune juice did it for me!!  Plus it is loaded with iron.......good for getting your hemoglobin back up.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 09:52:48 pm »
Shower chair at home is a must!! Also a Themophore heating pad--large size--those back and leg pains from funky spinal fluid are the worst--the Thermophore gives moist heat. Also one of those foam neck pillow that looks like a bagel with a bite out of it, especially for any car rides.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

amylynn

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:00:29 am »
I really enjoyed a splurge soap (Zum's) and some soothing lotion and a candle. Any small luxuries that you will enjoy and keep you comfortable.  I also took advice to get some no rinse hair shampoo  by Aveda. Just spritz and blow dry.  It helped when I could not wash my hair.
Have some comfy and stable shoes for when ya get up to walk cause your balance wont be so good. 
Have some healthy snacks.
I was very constipated, also.   
I fixed myself a prune juice and milk of mag cocktail.  Also ate prunes.
Have someone prepared to rub your back, neck or feet at a moments notice.   
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:47:30 am »
Funny I had no trouble in the going department..I just couldn't see worth a darn  lol
Shower Chair and baby shampoo was a must! Also a hand held shower head came in handy.
I had cravings for tomato soup and dum dum lollipops.  So someone that will run to the store to pick up those weird things is a must   ;D
things that you'll need are crossword puzzles, word find puzzles, any type of puzzle to help get your brain moving!  Someone to volunteer to walk with you while you retain your vestibular

soft pillow and someone to massage your neck...those vibrator type massagers just don't get the job done and my head was way too sensitive to use one!

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 11:25:03 am »
The little amber colored softeners that they give you in the hospital work just fine and you can get a box of them OTC at the Pharmacy, Dulcolax.  Drink water!

Keep up your dental hygeine routine.

Remember, no lifting during early post op.

Have a pair of wraparound sunglasses on hand.

Keep a neck supporting pillow in the car.

Definitely sit down in the shower.

Unless you are sent for PT before you come home (surgery) ask the doctor for some simple eye/head movement exercises that you can repeat for the first weeks.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 11:27:47 am by Boppie »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 03:51:31 pm »
Prepare to do a lot of dozing your first week home.  Take care of your scheduled bill-paying and any other chore, like cleaning, cutting grass, etc that you might normally do, before you go for surgery - or plan to have it done for you by someone else for awhile.  Don't try to do very much right away and listen to your body.

Definitely have an advocate in the hospital; a spouse, parent, adult child, sibling or friend.  You will need one at times and they must be committed to your well-being while there.  Think of Shirley McLaine's character ('Aurora Greenway') in the great film 'Terms of Endarment' as she screamed at the listless hospital nurses for her very ill daughter's scheduled meds.  I don't recommend anyone take that extreme approach but McLaine's character is a good - if totally fictional - example of the kind of advocate you would want while you are in hospital in the days immediately following AN surgery.   

Keep a positive attitude.  You can handle this - and you will be whole again.  Changed. yes, but still you.

Jim[/color]
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Static

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:56:22 pm »
Not a whole lot more to say than what has already been said.  Two piece jammies with buttons a plus, extra pair for when they spill something on you like blood (they ruined a pair of mine while taking blood :/), shower seat important as well as hand held shower which makes it easier to use the chair.  Don't bend over, so it might be a good idea to get a soap on a rope (or improvise by using an old or new pair of hoisery and cut the leg off, drop the soap in it and tie it to something so when the soap drops.....  I wish I had thought of a neck support pillow, makes sense now but didn't think of it then.  Someone around to help you get yourself organized around the house when you get home for the first few days or week (whatever you might need).  Don't plan on doing laundry or cleaning or cooking.  Order out, cook ahead and freeze (don't forget to defrost, I always do) and just deal with the dust!  It will still be there when you are allowed to take care of it!  Movies, books, anything to stimulate your noggin!  It all does get better, it just takes time. Hang in there and come here to vent if you need to!

PS  Batty, I don't think the vibrator was meant for your head :X
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 01:45:35 pm »
For the radiation patient - ask if you will be getting steroids after your procedure and then ask if it's okay to take any kind of sleeping aid, as you will probably have insomnia while you are taking the steroid pills and this can be really, really, really, awful. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

RosemaryL

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 03:12:29 pm »
1.  Be positive!  Expect a good outcome - this was the advice of my neurosurgeon.  Apparently it is the single most important thing anyone can do when preparing for any surgery. 

2.  As soon as you can, start writing down everything you remember.  It's been a long time (8 years) since my surgery and I have blessedly forgot most of the recovery.  I do recall having a lot of trouble sleeping.  Part of that was likely the meds, but part was also the memories running around in my head.  Finally I got out the laptop - very convenient when one needs to write while sitting with one's head supported - and started writing a diary of everything I could remember.  When everything was written down, I could forget it - and I could sleep. 

3.  While you are in the hospital, keep a pad of paper handy to jot down the questions you want to ask the doctors.  I was always somewhat out of it when they visited and couldn't remember my questions.  Writing down the answers is also a really good idea.  Of course, reading my writing was a challenge for quite a while - that's why the computer is important (see item 2).

4.  Ditto the importance of having an advocate in the hospital!!

Rosemary

1.5 cm right side AN removed by retrosigmoid approach, 12/1/98
Laligam Sekhar and Sanjay Prasad, George Washington Univ Hosp
deaf on right side, facial feeling and function fully recovered

matti

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 03:40:05 pm »
1. Don't be afraid to say "no' to visitors while in the hospital and at home (1st week or so). I appreciated the love and support, but it tired me out too much, especially with having facial paralysis.

2. Double ditto with the importance of having an advocate while in the hospital

3. My must have's -  Straws, chapstick, ginger candies (for nausea), shower chair, eye drops and last but not least....the ANA forum ;D

cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 06:18:02 pm »
Yes, yes, yes!  Prunes, stool softener, shower chair, European showerhead, microwaveable heat buddies, snacks for the middle of the night by the bedside (it's the decadron, peanut butter sandwiches got me through it), straws, gingerale, sour candies (to help you salivate), wrap around sunglasses, a zip-front shortie sleep shirt (even better than pj's since you don't have to lean over to pull up pants), and PATIENCE.  Don't take much to the hospital, you won't need it.  Someone to be your advocate and to map out your med schedule and keep you on it.  Oh, and from Jeff, excellent idea, an eye patch so that you can look at the computer and get on here without your eye drying out or working independantly so you can't focus. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Raydean

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 07:33:42 pm »
If you're a guy an electric shaver is a blessing and should be on the need to have list.  Much safer then a non electric razor and easier to use.

Hugs
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

lmurray69

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 09:18:37 pm »
 I used those night eye covers. especially during the day to take naps. put the eye thing on and sleep. I also got eye gel pillow I tucked it under the eye pillow boy does it help with the eye problems too. also take eye drops. so you dont have to go out. the sun bothered me so take sunglasse . I know someone said they even use the sleep make on the plain home.. and always remember that I spell from what i hear. Left side deafness..good luck. I also had a cain that really helps you walk too.
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

redgrl

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 09:48:02 pm »
Most important thing i learned was to get plenty of rest and take things slowly. Don't rush your recovery.  ;)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.