Author Topic: Facial weakness  (Read 12135 times)

IAHeel

Facial weakness
« on: January 09, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »
My wife had translab at House yesterday for a 1.9 cm AN. Her smile was perfect after surgery, but this morning she has facial weakness. Schwartz was surprised, but assured us that it would be tempary because things were perfect right after surgery. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

Fred Moore

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Facial weakness
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 05:50:10 pm »
Hi Fred,

This thread in "Post Treatment" (as well as other threads there) may be of help:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2469.0

Please give my best to Susan and let her know we are cheering her on..... and please... you take care as well.  You, also, are a part of our AN family and we want you well, too.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 07:01:01 pm »
Yes.  I've been told and I've heard that they say how you wake up is how you will end up.  It just takes a little time to get there sometimes.  Does she have numbness or is her face just sorta droopy?  I had asymmetry about a day or two after surgery and now it only appears when I'm tired.  It's a dead give away to my mom when I've over done things. 

Obita

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:02:23 pm »
Hi Fred:

I had some paralysis a week or 10 days post op.  My surgeons told me that it could happen due to swelling so I did not freak out.  I think they called it late onset paralysis...my mouth quit working on my AN side and it went numb.  I am sorry but I can't remember for sure how long it lasted.  I think about a month.  Not long enough to be really worried.  It didn't just all of a sudden come back either.  It was gradual.

Good luck to you and Susan.  Please tell her we all say hi and to hang in there!!

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

IAHeel

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 11:20:28 pm »
It's better tonight. Her face is coming back a bit. It was not moving much earlier today. Hits was not her surgeon, but he truly has a wonderful manner. He came to see her and really encouraged her. His experience and manner settled her. I have to say that I am a pretty tough guy, but when she blamed herself for the weakness because she opted for surgery, it broke my heart in a way that I cannot describe. I am optimistic, but the surgeons quoted astronomically low odds of a permanent weakness and said it was extremely rare for temporary weakness to occur. I have compassion for the folks on this Board that is deep. We met a couple tonight whose daughter has had NF2 for 10 years and was back for her second brain surgery after three spinal surgeries. They had an amazing spirit and so did she. There is a lot of hardship in this world and circumstances like these remind us of that fact.

Fred Moore

amylynn

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 03:23:05 am »
Fred.  I had the weakness start later, day 11, I am 11 weeks or so post op and have considerable improvement.  My left side was completely paralyzed for several days so be encouraged by small improvement so soon. Hang in there.   
Best Wishes,  Amy
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

1wareagle

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 09:30:54 am »
Hi Fred, I had surgery at House Thursday Jan. 4. This is really my 1st day to be able to sit at a computer. They told me from my film that it was a 3.2cm but now they tell me it was much bigger. Brackmann and Hit. did the surgery. They told me at first that they saw no problems with paralizes of the face after surgery but from the minuite i woke up my AN side is numb. I hate to talk because it is hard to understand me but Im getting better. The Surgery doctors tell me it will get better with time but the regular doctor they sent after the surgery told me it could be weeks, months, years?????? This is so heart breaking. I work out in the public face to face everyday and also lead my church choir. My eye will not close either. I plan to see a eye doctor today about a weight or a contact. Thursday I plan to see the surgery doctors and I plan to ask plenty of questions. I do apprecitate this forum for all the advance warnings of what could happen. I wasn't shocked as bad. Fred I am in room 302 for now , if they can get our air to work, look me and my wife up. Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

IAHeel

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 06:47:18 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement. Both Friedman and Schwartz were encouraged about Susan's face today. There is movement near her eye and her mouth is improved too.

Fred

Obita

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 07:23:53 am »
Fred:

My best to Susan.  Glad things are looking up!!

Ellis:

I know it is hard but try to keep positive.  You have alot of post-op swelling going on in there.  The facial nerve stretches to accomodate the AN so now it needs to heal.

Good luck and I hope you get all your questions answered today.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04

Obita

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 08:43:38 pm »
Fred:

How is Susan doing?  Please tell her we all said Hi.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 10:26:51 am »
I'm thinking we need to have a house thread where all the posties can keep us updated! 

Hopefully the face is doing better!

IAHeel

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 08:26:14 pm »
Thanks for asking. She is doing well. It's 8 days post op, so we are being patient. She does have some facial movement, so we are encouraged. We see the surgeon in the AM. If you google Delayed Facial Palsy on the scholarly board, you will see a good bit of literature on DFP. The prognosis is excellent, and there is some support for the notion that if you have facial nerve decompression, your recovery is aided.

Fred

jlamborn

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 06:50:36 pm »
Mine did the exact same thing; right after the surgery, movement was perfectly normal.  The next day, due to the swelling, my right eye wouldn't blink with the other one and the right corner of my mouth wouldn't smile.  It started improving the week after I got home from the hospital and continues to improve.  Today, at one month since my surgery, my eyes are now blinking together, I can lift both eyebrows, and the right corner of my mouth is almost working normally.  It's still just a little droopy, but I am confident it will fully come back.  As many others have said on this forum, it just takes a little time.

Jean
13 mm AN on right side
Dr Isaacson, Dr. Madden,
UT Southwest Medical Center - Dallas, TX
Trans-lab Dec 18, 2006
BAHA implant Oct 2, 2008
BAHA activation Jan 9, 2009

IAHeel

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 12:31:08 pm »
Thanks Jean. We saw Friedman yesterday and he is really encouraged about her improvement. Glad you are doing well.

Fred

superrmaren

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 10:27:13 pm »
Hi Fred, I had surgery at House Thursday Jan. 4. This is really my 1st day to be able to sit at a computer. They told me from my film that it was a 3.2cm but now they tell me it was much bigger. Brackmann and Hit. did the surgery. They told me at first that they saw no problems with paralizes of the face after surgery but from the minuite i woke up my AN side is numb. I hate to talk because it is hard to understand me but Im getting better. The Surgery doctors tell me it will get better with time but the regular doctor they sent after the surgery told me it could be weeks, months, years?????? This is so heart breaking. I work out in the public face to face everyday and also lead my church choir. My eye will not close either. I plan to see a eye doctor today about a weight or a contact. Thursday I plan to see the surgery doctors and I plan to ask plenty of questions. I do apprecitate this forum for all the advance warnings of what could happen. I wasn't shocked as bad. Fred I am in room 302 for now , if they can get our air to work, look me and my wife up. Ellis

chin up! i hear ya! i had surgery over 7 months ago and still have a paralyzed face. i am an actress, so that's really difficult - they're allowed to discriminate there! just remember, the talking will get clearer, even if you have to find little ways to "cheat" pronunciations!...and as for leading the church choir, i'm sure everyone there will understand and be glad to have you back!

having a weight in your eye is wonderful!!! though you can't wink as the eye doesn't work independently, you can blink and close it!  no patch either!  i had a weight  for almost 7 months now, and still have to use some drops and ointment since my bottom lid doesn't allow for complete closure, but what a difference! i'd say go for it if you can! 

xox
"the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

4.5cm tumor resected at Johns Hopkins in 2006.  Drs. Tamargo and Minor
numerous facial plastic surgeries
12-7 nerve graft 2008
platinum eye weight removed 2009
deaf right - BAHA
residual balance issues
severe dry