Author Topic: Mind games... from my health care insurance broker (to help our memory issues)  (Read 3540 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Hi all,

We get a monthly newsletter from my employer's heath care insurance broker and on the cover of this month's newsletter are tips for "Mind Games", so I thought I'd share (some of this you may know, some you may not):

"Mental 'exercise' causes the brain to make new nerve connections and can protect against Alzheimer's disease and memory loss.  Good ways to give your brain a workout include:

1.  Card games, crossword puzzles, and games that use a new way of problem solving.  (comment: I'm kinda partial to Sudoku)
2.  Hobbies that require memorizing and thinking, like learning a new language.
3.  Use your non-dominant hand to do tasks. This makes your brain work harder and establish new memory pathways (comment:  this, I had not heard before!)
4.  Be open to new ideas and experiences

Source:  Dr. David Gobble, Director of the Fisher Institue for Wellness and Gerontology at Ball State University"
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Shrnwldr

Thank you for that sound advice.   

In one of my many lists I have included buying crossword puzzles. 

I also sew, crochet (doilies and such), embrodier etc etc etc.   
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
I chase tourists around swingin' me cutlass and cursin'.  Yuppies, too. Good excercise. Dr Love likes Sudoku, but I can't think straight enough after all the yellin'.

Capt Deb 8)

(actually, I like to make stuff--jewelry, knitting, etc. anything with a pattern to concentrate on)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Windsong

After I had this "virus" seven years before my An was discovered, I was left with some pretty awful vertigo probelms and then balance issues etc. for ages and ages. I was so worried about losing my "mind" especially since i knew something else was wrong but had no diagnosis, i began to play all sorts of games on my computer:  a spy game against the clock demanding hand eye co-ordination;  backgammon, chess, both online;  drawing a phrase or word (isketch) online; plus a number of others all based on hand/eye/ thinking etc...

As for hobbies, i had so much time on my hands i HAD to resume some:  painting, drawing, reading, writing, a few others too...

oops.. hit the wrong keyboard button and off it went before i finished this... ::)

Didn't think of using non-dominant hand arm except i did try carrying any grocery bags with it to get it back in fuller use.

As for new ideas and experciences, I think i had quite a few of those over the last 7-8 years, some of which were online classes, art classes at a nearby art gallery, a writing course or two if only to get back into it, (still struggling with that one due to dyslexic typing!);  new  international cooking ideas;   some renos though others did the work lol;  new people;  and the list goes on...

now and then i admit i can get "down" but then i find a new interest and begin to pursue it... makes for some fun in life too.

i still find I have memory problems though....  ;D

W.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:15:28 pm by Windsong »

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
  For me, playing a musical instrument (guitar) uses a totally different part of the brain than normal, works the hand coordination, and relieves stress.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
haven't tried my "focus skills" for knitting/crocheting since my diagnosis and treatment.... miss doing it... need to start it again. Anyone else try knitting/crocheting/needlework since treatment?  you do well with it?

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Boppie

Hi, I have been resumed my hand and machine sewing (some very tiny piecing) since surgery. Actually I started doing this at 6 months post op.  I have found great peace and quiet practicing my fine motor skills at the machine.  I am having no problems with it, but my time at the machine is shorter now.  I get neck cramps and my concentration wanes quicker than pre op.  I am thinking I'll go back to drawing and painting.

Jeanlea

I've done a bit of knitting since my surgery when I have time.  I seem to get plenty of mind challenging activities from the planning I do for teaching, both students and adults.  I am also partial to sudoku puzzles.   I read a lot too. 

Jean

translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
I haven't tried quilting again yet, but I have done crochet and cross-stitch since my surgery.  No difference that I can tell (once I acclimated to the partially numb fingers...)

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

redgrl

Kathleen (gennysmom) gave me a good idea. If anyone has the nintendo ds they have a great brain game. I checked it out it's pretty cool. :)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.