Author Topic: TINNITUS!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 18814 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: TINNITUS!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007, 10:44:46 am »
Hi guys:  I posted 2/20 under AN comm., TV flavin..:  Dr. Telischi did a talk on Tinnitus &, unfortunately, there is NO ABSOLUTE cure.
If anyone wants to look at the 'slides', you can go to Google, put in:  miller school of medicine,  & click under Departments..;
then scroll down (on the left you'll see) & click on Otolaryngology.   Then, on the left hand side at the bottom you'll see
Grand Rounds.  click on that, then the 1st one, Tinnitus  2/17/2005, click & you'll get the slide show.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Crystal

Re: Turning down the volume at night
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2007, 11:49:10 am »
I've been learning to meditate over the last couple of years.  I know it relaxes me but intersestingly, since surgery, it actually helps to turn the volume down on the tinitus at night.

When my head is filled up with stuff from work and I am trying to sleep, my tiniutus is nuts.  I do my normal meditation stuff -- visualize a loving light of the universe come gently in through my head, down through my body and out my toes.  I concentrate on the steady flow of light through my body while breathing in and out evenly checking and relaxing each muscle.  It turns the volume down for me just like turning a nob on a radio.  As soon as my thoughts go back to work then the volume goes back up.

When you are at your wits end, get some tapes or a book on meditation and give it a try!  I have found it remarkable.

God Bless,

Crystal
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2007, 01:37:02 pm »
Read through all of the "T" stories and have nothing to add, but I have a question regarding what is causing my tinnitus in my contralateral ear.  I had surgery 2 years ago January to AN on my left.  I am deaf in this ear and one year later the tinnitus began in my good ear on and off.  It now is constant with pressure changes, popping, heart beat pulsing/sound while lying on that side and just recently my TMJ joint on my right side is beginning to hurt on and off.  Wondering if this should concern me enough to make a call to my surgeon or just wait until MRI at the end of this year.  I was told by another Otolayringologist the ringing in my good ear is due to ibuprofen use for the headaches.  Can't say I agree as my NSAID use is not excessive.  He never addressed the other issues though and silly me, I forgot to remind him.  As my husband teases me it was a "dee dee dee" moment (for those of you who have seen Carlos Mencia).  Anyway, just thought I'd put this out there to see if anyone's doctor mentioned NSAID use as cause to ringing in contralateral ear. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Jwh

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2007, 08:02:38 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if the neurologist ever got back to you with the results?

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

okiesandy

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2007, 12:41:48 pm »
Along with my AN, I also have Cochlear Hydrops ( a form of meniers disease). Tinnitus drove me crazy before cyberknife. After treatment the pitch changed and it was more managable. I have learned from the Meniers site that a protacol called John of Ohio's is helpful to some with tinnitus and/or dizzyness. (I don't have the vertigo that goes with Meniers so it is CH). It does not work for everyone, however, it does with some and I can say it has helped me. It is not quick acting and takes around two months to even start to show any results. Google John of Ohio and see the protocol.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

FlyersFan68

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2007, 07:14:05 am »
Does anyone have any ideas for management of this gross intrusion...I have heard of cognitive therapy and tinnitus retraining therapy but really know nothing about these activities - if you have any info at all it would be much appreciated  :) I am currently waiting and watching until my next MRI in April - Sydney, St Vincent's Hospital, Australia.

this link should should provide the info. you are seeking. Out of Australia too.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s232.htm