Author Topic: Resonance in the AN ear  (Read 24751 times)

Boppie

Re: Resonance in the AN ear
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 08:20:25 pm »
Sam,
At one year out I think I hear an occasional whisk of air in my AN side...sort of like a car window cracked open and the sound wisks in.  But who knows maybe I am hearing it on the good side, so how do I know it is from the AN side or not.  Sort of the tree falling in the forrest thing.  :-\

Pablo

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 03:28:59 am »
Pablo- I had FSR at Johns Hopkins 6 months ago- I also have this condition. IT is even worse because it is my only hearing ear. Sounds are distorted and I really cannot sometime make out what people say. I just had a 6 month MRI but have not heard back from Johns Hopkins. The preliminary report states that I have Chronic Mastoidus. Not knowing what this is i looked it up in the medical book. It is inflamation of the Mastoid bone. I have had this distortion for 3 months now. I do not know if this is permanent-I sure hope not. If I find any answers out or you do-please post on this thread. My AN is 2.4X2.2CM. I had 96% hearing before FSR-This has decreased to 90%. Ron

Thanks Dealy for your updates. It looks we have similar conditions after about the same time from FSR. I sent a note to my doc to find out about this but haven't gotten any response just yet. In my case it's weird because after FSR other than a slight high freq drop in hearing I didn't get any other symptoms. It was just three days ago I woke up with this condition. Hearing people talking is really annoying and became hypersensitive to normal life noise.  12 year ago I had something similar which followed a sudden deafness condition. (without knowing at that time I had the tumor). I was given stereoids treatment for a week and my conditions improved drastically. I asked my doctor if it makes sense to take any medicine at this point in case that symptoms persist.
I will update as soon as anything new is going on.

Regards
Pablo
2.5 cm x 3.0 cm  right side
FSR  7/2006
Cabrini Medical Center, NYC

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 07:31:54 am »
Hello:   ::)

I will ask about resonance in the AN ear, today.  I'm leaving soon.  I got the audi. appt. for this morning.  I'm 5 week post CK.  I'll fax the report in (to Stanford) when I return.  I still have severe pressure in the ear since the first of January and mega facial pain.  This is why I'm going for a hearing test so soon after CK.  I was told I might be one of the unusual cases and the doctors would need to save the rest of my hearing I guess, with sterioids.  (not a thought to my liking after steroids/Pred., landing me in ER for the night last year) 

If you can think of any questions that might be appropriate for the Audiologist, please let me know either privately or most within the hour.  (outta here in the 24 degrees, soon)

Have a good day Pirate People

More later.....

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

BevM

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 08:19:43 am »
Hi Palace:  I e-mailed Stanford a couple of days ago as I am experiencing the increase in pain, ear pressure, imbalance.  I am a few days short of three months since my CK.  I believe others on the forum have reported the increase symtoms are as a result of the normal swelling of the tumor after treatment; however, I wanted to hear directly from my treating doctor if this is, in fact, what is causing this and what time frame to expect for improvement and what, if anything, can be done in the meantime.   I am waiting for their reply.

I am glad you are going to see them and you can pass on that you are not alone in this and we, on the forum, will benefit from what they tell you.

Thanks .

Bev

marystro

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 10:25:24 am »
Hi Palace and BevM,

About 2 - 3 months after CK, my symptoms increased somewhat (but not the degree you are experiencing).  However they are all subsided mostly by now except tinnitus.  Still feels a little almost unnoticeable facial numbness, little headache and once a while funny feeling on the tongue but no facial pain.  I wrote to my Stanford doctors who said the causes are likely swelling and / or radiatoin of surrounding structures including nerves and they all assured me that these residual effects should be diminishing overtime.  And also said they are rarely longlasting.

I sincerely hope what you are going through are also temporary.  Nerve pains are most excruciating.  I feel really sorry to hear about your ordeal.  Prayers and best wishes to you.

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

Pablo

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 11:06:33 am »
My doctor also said that symptoms improve with time. I also had a bad time the first three months, but now I feel better (other than this resonance, however I notice that it is getting better for the last few days). My hearing has deteriorated after the treatment especially in the high frequencies but I still have 100% discrimination. The interesting thing is that I was expecting  swelling shown in my first MRI 6 months after the treatment and by surprise, the MRI doctor indicates that there is no change and my radiosurgery doctor said that the tumor is even slightly smaller, based on a more accurate measurement protocol they use (about 1 - 2mm), he also mentions that there are necrosis signs right in the middle. 
2.5 cm x 3.0 cm  right side
FSR  7/2006
Cabrini Medical Center, NYC

marystro

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 11:21:53 am »
Palace,

Curious if high altitude and cold temperature may have any effect?  I find that if it is really cold (not comparing to our NE or midwest friends but I am spoiled by Southern California weather), I don't like it as well, whole body wise...  And I am quite bad with altitude.  I still remember going up to Pikes Peak in Colorado and my ears were so clogged...

Just curious may be the doctor can shed some light.

Take care driving down the mountains.

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 07:21:23 pm »
Hello Friends:

I'm so sorry it took me so long to post but, I just got back home, again.  (two doctor day)

The ear is huge fluid built up on the ear drum.  I have a spray for once a day and some pills to take now.  (Nasonex and Guaifenex 600/120)  If they don't work (in three weeks) the doctor will lance it and let it drain out.  (at the office)  The pills for the ear can keep you awake at night and make your heart race.  (they are supposed to make you jittery)  If I'm not jittery enough with everything I'm going through.  All of you know how it can be and especially, the people who had the bigger surgery of head incision.

I was always afraid of that bungy-cord toy with the tennis balls at each end.  I held one end and either dog would pull and shake it.  (that caused the shoulder tear, I'm sure)

My husband and I traded off playing "bungee pull toy" with the dogs and it whipped my shoulder.  I now have my joint sticking out between the bones in the shoulder.  I go for a bone density test tomorrow down in Santa Cruz.  (back to the same building I was in today but, the stom is really coming in good now so, we will see how it plays out)  I will have an X-ray of my shoulder!  It is very painful and hard to type.  They can do orthoscopic surgery on something like this.  (surgery number 21 coming up)

I'm going to be a "lurker" for awhile.  It is so hard to type.  My arm needs to be in a sling and ice up top where the big bump is.  (joint out)  I appologize if I have to "drop-out" for awhile.  I will try to go online to read.

Oh, one more thing you all might find interesting........the audiologist said a hearing aid is of no value to me at present time.  My new hearing test today showed almost no change since CK but, it has only been five weeks.

That is really GOOD NEWS on the fluid buld up because, that means once that is taken care of, I won't be living with this much pressure for the rest of my life.  (here I thought, is this what it is like after CK and what I must live with for the rest of my life)  It should get better.  I just wish I didn't have the next injury "back-to-back."  I'm going to toast tonight with supper and all of you.  A glass of wine is "warrented, this evening."  Take care all of you and I'm thinking of you even if you don't hear (parden the pun) from me.  Typing is out for me, for awhile.  (plus many doctor appointments)

*I'm reporting back now 12 hours after taking the Nasonex and the Guiafenex and it has hleped me by half the fullneess feeling going away, ALREADY!  It is working for me.  Now, to get this should X-rayed and find a surgeion right away for surgery.

I was hoping to fill out the headache thread but, that is on the "back-burner" for awhile.  It will be there once I can type again.  Someone might need to remind me to fill it out.  It is long for right now. unless I could dictate it to my husband who does, "hunt and peck."  I think I will wait until I can type again.

My dog is booked for major surgery on Tuesday.

I'm going broke.

Thank you all again for being so kind and lots of love to all of you,

Palace
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 05:39:17 am by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Static

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 08:09:54 pm »
Pal,
I'm sorry to hear that you are going through all this.  Hopefully the meds will help your ear drain and you will have relief from the pressure.  Also sorry to hear about your arm.  I had severe tendonitis in my hands/arms before and through alot of the holidays, it was awful.  I was a lurker myself at that time, we all understand and just want you to be better.  My dog is going to the vet tomorrow to see when she can get spayed.  I'll be thinking about you and here if you need me for anything.  Hugs to you and your dog and hopes that you both get better real soon!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 01:38:51 pm »
Hey Palace, so sorry for what you've been through but so glad they found a cause for the "fullness" in your ear.  That symptom drove me crazy when I had it.  It subsided on it's own and I am so glad that at least one of my symptoms went bye-bye.  Take care and I hope you and your doggy will be better soon. :)

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode