Author Topic: Anyone have occasional "eye pain/aches?"  (Read 8582 times)

kippy6

Anyone have occasional "eye pain/aches?"
« on: January 05, 2007, 10:51:28 pm »
My AN was on my right side. Lately I have been having a pain or ache in my right eye, not a big deal, and only a few times. However, today the pain was worse and lasted for several hours... Has anyone experienced eye pain? Have you figured out what causes it?

The feeling reminds me of the eye ache I get when I eat icecream. Instead of getting an "icecream headache," I get an eye ache (right eye only)...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:48:08 pm by kippy6 »
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

amymeri

Re: Anyone have occasional "eye pain/aches?"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 08:07:33 am »
Yes, I occasionally get pain in the affected eye.  Sometimes I attribute it to dryness which causes focusing issues and then results in pain.  I find lubricating and patching and rest helps.  Sometimes I can't tell why and take a  couple tylenol which helps.  Mine hasn't been bad enough that it worries me, but it is annoying.

Any visual problems?  Do you have facial paralysis?

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 09:02:56 am »
  Hi there,

My pain (more like burning), is, like Amy's, due to eye dryness as my blink reflex is gone; even with the gold weight my eyelid doesn't close unless I 'squeeze' hard.
   Daily use of Refresh PM lubricant (drops aren't strong enough for me) - after putting in the lubricant it's "AHHHHH, RELIEF !!!"

If the pain IS due to dry eye, it's very important to keep it lubricated to protect the cornea.
  If it's not dry eye, I'd call the doc for peace of mind.

Take care, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 01:22:42 pm »
kippy6:

Funny you should mention eye pain. 

See my signature (below) for my AN treatment history.

Since I finished my FSR treatments I've experienced an occasional stabbing pain in my left eye (the AN-affected side).  It can last for a few minutes to over an hour.  Not too intense - but hard to just ignore.  No lessening/loss of vision or facial paralysis of any kind accompanies the pain.  I assume this is connected with swelling of the remaining tumor as the radiation takes effect on it.  I mentioned it to my neuro surgeon when I saw him last month (for an updated MRI) and he replied that he could not say for sure what caused the occasional stabbing pain in my left eye, but that as long as they were brief and my vision was not affected, there was no need to be concerned.  I wasn't. 

I'm pleased to report that occasional 'stabbing' pain in my left eye has pretty much subsided now, a month later.  I don't think this is a real neurological problem but more like another annoying-but-manageable hurdle on the road to full recovery.  Hey, it could be worse!   ;)

Jim[/color]
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.