Author Topic: Question about BAHA  (Read 5317 times)

IAHeel

Question about BAHA
« on: January 05, 2007, 11:25:25 am »
My wife is having translab surgery at HEI on Monday. For those of you who have had the BAHA, we are interested in your perspectives. Could you respond with:

Are you pleased that you have the BAHA?
Did you have it done at the same time you had surgery, or later?
If you are a woman, please comment on any hair issues or other concerns?

Thanks so much,

Fred Moore

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Question about BAHA
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:40:24 am »

I had a BAHA done and HEI and yes, it was done at the same time as the AN remval

I am pleased with the BAHA, the changes are suttle, but I have forgotten the wear it a couple times to work .. and BOY did I miss it...

I cant comment on the girl issues  :o , but as a guy it does not to much hair to hide it .. but I will say for the first 3 months .. the site is kinda iky .  The site has go grow back and heal , etc...

If she works in and office or school, the BAHA is great.. staying at home, I actually dont wear it a lot at home, because I have a hat on or I'm working outside I dont want to risk the BAHA.
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Raydean

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 05:47:55 pm »
In regards to the ladies hair issues.  I've a friend that wears a BAHA.  She has medium short hair and truthfully unless she moves her hair aside i don't see it.  I think if the hair is really short, or if the person is wearing a updo it be visable, otherwise  I don't think it'll be visable.  I'm told that the portion that screws on comes in basic hair color,  so you can blend it into the background more.

let us know how it turns out
best to you
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:45:48 pm »
can I get a little plastic wig to fit over that baha box?
I have a crue cut, military style.

that might look funny though,
like i got a brown mouse behind my ear.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 11:23:05 pm »
A woman in my town had her BAHA implant done at the same time as the tumor surgery.  The healing of the site occurred at the same time as the AN incision.  She barely noticed it was there. 

Then she returned to the office at three months to get the abutment screw placed onto the titanium post and found that the skin had grown over the opening.  So they sent her home to heal the new opening and had placed a plastic bubble bandage over it to keep it shielded.  Wearing this the bubble shield for a week or so was the only part she has ever complained about.  After a few hours of fretting she put a scarf on her head and went shopping and to work. 

Today she enjoys her BAHA and raves about it. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 06:53:55 pm by Boppie »