Author Topic: Does anyone have eye focus problems/forgetfullness  (Read 14898 times)

lmurray69

Does anyone have eye focus problems/forgetfullness
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:09:14 pm »
I have eye focus problems, eyes feel like they are being pulled out of my head..I went to DR primary. he had me try and stand on one foot. no way. either eyes closed or open. eye dr says they are fine as far as he can see.. now what?  I put those pm eye drops in. they help too. but i have to get up during the night to do it again...any suggestions   Linda or and cant rememer who said what,, I have to find the note that capt dee or pearl gave me on the 4 things.I have the note pad, but cant remember what i need to write down..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Battyp

Re: Does anyone have eye focus problems/forgetfullness
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 10:32:59 pm »
Do you have nystagmus in your eyes?  That is when the eyes are not tracking together.  Gave me a real wonky headed problem and had a lot of trouble focusing on things.  It was one of the reasons I couldn't drive for a while.  My 89 year old neighbor told me to just do what he does..close one eye and go for it  LOL

I have the same memory thing.  My mom kept telling to carry a note pad around but it got funny with my just trying to keep up with the darn thing.  I've learned to keep things in the same place and keep a grocery list since I can no longer remember more than 3 things from the store.  Tonight I lost my list before I made it to the store then had my son grouchy as I forgot the doritos...heck I remembered the milk  LOL

matti

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 10:49:51 pm »
My AN side eye tracks slower than the other and since surgery I can feel that they work on two different levels. I have trouble reading for more than 10 minutes and have to take frequent computer breaks to close my eyes as I get very fatigued from the overload.

I am queen of the post-it notes, I have daily lists and notes to myself at home and in the car. A few times I have been at the store and somehow lost my list, and I could not remember what I had gone there for :'(

Michelle - What kind of car does your 89 year old neighbor drive LOL so I can be on the lookout. (just kidding :-*)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 06:00:37 am »
I've bought stock in Post It's, Linda... and, I have to giggle... on occassion, I claim my dr's note for my AN makes me forget things, like to do things for CB (shhhhh, don't tell him), telling the bank I forgot to balance my checkbook, etc :)

Bothers the heck out of me....um.... what was I saying? ;)

(Hang in there Linda, with your eye situation. I, peronsally, am not familiar with it)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 05:03:42 pm »
No more forgetful than usual.  I don't really suffer from dry eye or tinnitus either, so I'm probably not a very good reference.  I just wanted to acknowledge Linda's post and her query.   Although I do not share her specific complications, I do wish her well.

Jim[/color]
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 07:05:57 pm »
eye focus problems of course here, right after surgery due to my left eye not being able to track sound on my left/brain rewiring to other side.
and not being able to see details due to dry eye that -tears should be coming back within 6-9 months.

Regarding forgetfullness, probably more than usual due to my brain still feeling "floaty", I was bad anyway with remembering things and such.
I would yell and acuse others of stealing my backpack and hat, HEY WHERE IS MY BACKPACK and HAT! >:(,

Then others point at me and say, "the hat is on your head and the backpack is on your back". :-[
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

lmurray69

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 07:14:41 pm »
I thank you for your reply,,I to get very tired and have to take short naps,but sometimes I cant close my eyes and sleep as they are dry, but i do use the drops and that helps too.. I carry the cell phone we have programed it so i open the phone and it calls home..helps me to find what i need at the store and also  so my husband can add to the list..tee hee.. Do I have demensha ?
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Static

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 08:58:39 pm »
Linda,
It was a long time for  me before I was remembering things a little better but I am still extremely forgetful.  How long were you under anesthesia?  I don't have any facts to base this on, just a hunch, but I think that the longer and more you are under anesthesia for things, the more it messes with your head or memory.  First time I was under for a long surgery (a emergency for a perforated ulcer in 1999 - not sure how long it was) it took me so long before  I could write properly.  My writing looked like I was drunk  or high when I  wrote it.  And after AN surgery I noticed other changes and things that I couldn't do the same and that surgery was 10-11 hrs long.  I don't have dry eye anymore  like I did after the surgery but I still don't produce tears in that eye.  I did have focus problems in the beginning but my physical therapist had me doing eye movement therapy so that helped.  Hope you are feeling better.
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

lmurray69

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 07:38:15 pm »
my surgery was like 4 hrs is all, but , I have TIA'S I have had 9 and they take a little each time..I have one..

kerri lyn angel

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 08:05:02 pm »
yeah that eye thing drives me bonkers too sometimes i get so frustrated and upset i cry only out the right eye ofcourse. it seems as if theyre not in sync with each other. i had a bit of a focus prob pre surgery butits way bad now. as for the forgetfulness well short terms not too good but that could just be getting older huh? keep on buying those post its! btw the gel drops seem to work the best but consistent use is really the key to any of them. even in the middle of the night.   kerri
large an removed june 1, 2005 14.5 hour trans lab surgery permenantly disabled but breathing

Obita

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 08:22:13 pm »
Hi Linda:

My eyes are fine but yes, I forget stuff.  My memory is much better than it was the first 6 months post op, but it is not perfect.  If I need to bring something to work or home, I put a note on my keychain.  I am constantly writing myself emails.  If I am at home and remember something I should have done at work, I send myself an email as a reminder and vice versa.

It could be the surgery, it could be that I am 53 but most likely it is that I am 53 and menopausal.

Are we having fun yet?   ::)  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

matti

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 08:38:09 pm »
I agree with you Kathy, while I do think some of my forgetfullness is related to AN issues, I believe the bulk of it is attributted to menopause, as it was never this bad 2-3 years ago.

menopause sucks >:( 

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

lmurray69

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 09:12:21 pm »
Well girls we have to face it, life can be a burden sometimes, I love the email thing Kathy mentioned..But sence i dont work i wouldnt need the office part. But the sticky notes are great. there used to be a program where you could put sticknots on your desk top maybe i can find it..then i'd probly loose my computer.. tee hee..oh I thought I was 52, but my husband informed me i am going to be 55 the 11th, I said I can under stand looseing a couple days but what happened to 3 yrs..wow thats terrible..

Obita

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 09:59:17 am »
Linda:

I just turned 53 so I know how old I am.  In a few months, if someone asks me how old I am, I can pretty much guarantee that I will say 52 or 54.  It happens every year.....I just plain forget.

I would think you lost those years because of your TIA's.  Now that the AN is a goner, maybe those will stay away too.  I sure hope so.

Happy Birthday a few days early!!  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

lmurray69

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 05:29:15 pm »
 Obita, I am moveing forward with my life ,I have worried over this for 2 years .It doesnt mean that I wont be on this site. after all we have family here now. So I have to keep up on everyone. Also I will do my 1 yr when nov 07 come around. I have a lot of friend that I have lost this last year to milignant tumors in the brain. But we have to thank God that Mine was not..Thanks for all the careing...Linda