Author Topic: TV Ad - Lipo-Flavinoid for ear ringing  (Read 21334 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
TV Ad - Lipo-Flavinoid for ear ringing
« on: January 01, 2007, 09:03:35 am »
Sitting here and have the tv on .... and just saw an ad for "Lipo-Flavinoid" for ear ringing.... suppose to help with "circulation" in the ear to help stop the "ringing" in the ears......

http://experts.about.com/q/Audiology-Otolaryngology-963/Lipoflavonoid.htm

http://www.anyotc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8869

Instead of spending $64.00US, I think I'll go to the local pharmacy and buy a bottle of Theragran or One-A-Day for $10.00US

What will they think of next?  And, also curious if there really is proof that multivitamins do help ear ringing...... if you all have knowledge of such, would love to hear (sorry for the pun)

Happy new year all!
Phyl
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 10:18:58 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

kjmema

Re: TV Ad - Lipo-Flavinoid for ear ringing
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 10:02:12 am »
Hi Phyl and happy NY.   You are so sharp and a real blessing to so many.  Keep up the good research and work.  I have also wondered if acupuncture might be a help.  It would be interesting to see what other cultures do for the problem....

I've heard back from Medbery and House and both say to watch and wait so that is my plan.  I still have my almost total face and head numbness and will be curious to see what the neurologist says.  I've been researching like crazy but the scope of causes is HUGE.  What I find sad in my research is that like the AN site there are Neuro sites also and so many people have UNANSWERED questions and problems.  Oh well other than my weird head,  some ringing in my AN ear, and a bit of dizziness which I think is from my concussion  I'm fit as a fiddle for almost 65 so I won't fret too much. 

Take care and keep getting stronger and healthier every day. 

Karen
left side AN 3mm IAC watch & wait hearing 100% balance slightly off

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 10:06:03 am »
Phyl, I have seen those commercials, and don't buy it for a second.  I have been a good girl since surgery and have been taking a multi regularly (for the first time in my life) and my tinnitus hasn't changed.  Didn't change with surgery either.  It's the same old nasty ringing that I've had for years.  Luckily, I've had it so long I can ignore it.  
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 10:23:09 am »
Karen, thank you..... :-*    Gonna keep an eye on you and we're going to help you through the watch/wait period... and hoping that is all that will need to be done. You know that these things can tend to not grow or grow VERY slowly, so keeping fingers crossed that you maintain that path and endure the side affects with ease.. and with bad humor from us! :)

gennysmom, like you, I don't buy it either.  Interesting that the product notes a heavy dosage of Vitamin B, so curious if Vitamin B (complex) is effective.  Sorry your's isn't easing but mebbe, over time... well, for me, I've just learned to say "never say never".

Here's wishing you both a fabulous, happy, HEALTHY new year!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Static

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 01:50:56 pm »
I am also on a multivitamin and it isn't making a bit of difference.  I am also on b-complex because I was trying to get some energy from it, and C with flavanoids and guess what............ tinnitus is actually worse than after my surgery.  I never had tinnitus prior to surgery tho.  I saw that commercial also and just like all the weight loss aids, it's all a  load of ......... well, you know what I mean!  If only it did work.....
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

jcinma

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 04:58:27 pm »
I have been taking multi-vitamins as well as B complex for years and I don't believe it has done a thing for my tinnitus (wish it had) if anything my tinnitus has gotten worse. Over this past year I have developed pulsatile(pulsating) tinnitus. I can actually hear my pulse in my head in a quiet room. Learned to live with it altho it wasn't so easy falling asleep at the beginning.
Wishing everyone the very best New Year!!
Jane
1cm AN removed (lost hearing) 11/96
3cm reccurrence debulked to preserve facial function 2/05
FSR 4/05
Mass General Hosp. Boston MA

matti

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 06:34:32 pm »
Karen - I am starting acupuncture for anxiety and menopausal symptoms, but my doctor swears that it will also help with my tinnitus. I always try to be optimistic, so I'll give it a try and let you know.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Obita

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 06:48:56 pm »
Cheryl:

I am very interested in how that goes for you. 

When do you start?

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

matti

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 07:05:34 pm »
Kathy - I start my accupuncture in 2 weeks. I have had so many doctors (including my surgeons) over the past 8 years tell me to try accupunture for the balance, cognitive, wonky head and tinnitus issues. I hope they have enough needles for all the problems I have LOL I will probably look like a pin cushion

Is it still snowing?

Happy New Year!!!
hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Obita

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 07:50:10 pm »
Hi Cheryl:

Good luck in two weeks!!  Has anyone on here ever tried it?  Are you going to be our guinea pig? 

It quit snowing about 8:00pm last night.  Now it is melting.  Going to be 40 all week.  Minnesota ain't what it used to be in the weather department.  :( 

Hugs to you too my friend and ear scratches for Cosmo.  Oh, and good luck this week with your Transear.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 08:30:25 pm »
well, certainly sounds like multivitamins and B-complex don't do the trick!  Jane, sorry to hear that you now have the pulsating tinnitus...... I find mine flares when I am completely stressed and overtired.  Like hearing your heart beat in your head... drives me crazy!  Hang in there Jane!  :-*

Hoping one day, in our lifetime, they will figure out a way to make tinnitus subside......... a girl can hope, right?

Phyl

cmcnamara3

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 10:45:19 pm »
Hi...just registered to this forum

I am currently under acupuncture treatments for my ear ringing and it isn't working for me.  I have also tried Niacin that hasn't helped.

I have tried some tinnuitis herbs from my acupuncturist that made it worse, louder so I had to stop.  Am trying Sonarex as we speak that isn't working at all.

By all means try acupuncture...it may not cure the ear ringing but it benefits you in many other ways...it is helping my depression and pms immensely.

My ear ringing started after I had my ears candled...my earwax became impacted in my left ear and 3 days later I had a loud buzzing/ringing sound I have never had before...like a refrigerator running or a computer monitor buzzing...the ear candling itself didn't do any damage but I had to get an ent to flush my ear, then vaccuum the ear wax off my ear, which was HORRIBLE!  One ent said I am losing my hearing and the ringing/buzzing is the precursor, another ent said  he had no idea what the ringing is but it wasn't life threatning...my acupuncturist says it is a nerve disorder in my ear of some type.

Anyways, it seems anything "miraculous" doesn't work...what are you finding that helps?

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 08:59:54 am »
Hi CM and welcome... are your symptoms due to an actual AN and have you been treated for an AN?  If so, what kind of treatment option, when and details on the AN?  We're glad to help here.

Phyl

Hi...just registered to this forum

I am currently under acupuncture treatments for my ear ringing and it isn't working for me.  I have also tried Niacin that hasn't helped.

I have tried some tinnuitis herbs from my acupuncturist that made it worse, louder so I had to stop.  Am trying Sonarex as we speak that isn't working at all.

By all means try acupuncture...it may not cure the ear ringing but it benefits you in many other ways...it is helping my depression and pms immensely.

My ear ringing started after I had my ears candled...my earwax became impacted in my left ear and 3 days later I had a loud buzzing/ringing sound I have never had before...like a refrigerator running or a computer monitor buzzing...the ear candling itself didn't do any damage but I had to get an ent to flush my ear, then vaccuum the ear wax off my ear, which was HORRIBLE!  One ent said I am losing my hearing and the ringing/buzzing is the precursor, another ent said  he had no idea what the ringing is but it wasn't life threatning...my acupuncturist says it is a nerve disorder in my ear of some type.

Anyways, it seems anything "miraculous" doesn't work...what are you finding that helps?

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 11:43:52 am »
Hi guys:  I just looked up a 'grand rounds' Dr. Telischi did 2/17/2005 (how funny, on the ANA forum bday);
 he did a talk on Tinnitus with double blind studies & basically, to summarize:
PROBABLY EFFECTIVE: lidocaine, benzodiazepines, antidepressants (amitriptylline, SSRI's, Tricyclic), Electrical Stimulation, Enoxaparin (an anticoagulant), dexamethasone, and masking (hearing aids, music, etc.).
LIKELY NOT EFFECTIVE: Acupuncture, Tegretol, Gingo Biloba, Gabapentin(I think that's Neurontin), Pulsed EM, & HB O2

There was alot more involved in the studies, but that's basically it.   Looks like nothing is a DEFINITELY WORKS.
Well, if one of us can figure out a cure, that person is going to have millions.....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

cmcnamara3

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 12:19:26 am »
Hi Phyl,

Thanks for your kind words :)

I feel really stupid asking this..but what is AN?  And I see the information at the bottom of everyone's posts...what does that mean?

I have only seen an ear nose throat dr and they recommened a white noise machine and that's it.  They tested my hearing and stuck something in my ear that felt like it was sucking my ear canal....I have seen 2 different ent's but they say the same thing "don't know what it is, so live with it"...I am going back to the first one that vaccummed my ear drum to have my hearing tested again.

I have a whooshing sound in my right ear, and I was told by more than one dr it is fluid in there and to take a decongestant..I have altitude sickness, motion sickenss, vertigo and dizziness..which the drs say isn't related to the ear ringing..have had bad ear infections as a child and have sinusitis..I have asked about Meneriere disease and equilibrium issues but have been blown off.

My massage therapists are the ones who recommended acupuncture..which is great but doesn't seem to help the ear ringing...at least for me..but anyone who wants to try it please do! You never know what will work.

Also, my left ear, with the ringing, is really sensitive to noise now..any loud noise hurts the inside of my ear...

I don't know what else to do with these drs...should I insist on further test?  Like a CT scan or MRi?

This seems like a really nice group..I interacted with some groups regarding cancer and they turned out to be quite nasty...I lost my mother to stomach cancer 16 months ago tomorrow  :'(

Thanks and have a great night! C. McNamara