Author Topic: FDA Warning on OTC Drugs  (Read 3789 times)

Dealy

FDA Warning on OTC Drugs
« on: December 20, 2006, 04:04:43 pm »
 Hi Alll- This topic was in our local newspaper today. FDA has warned consumers on such OTC drugs as Aspirin-Ibuprofen and Acetominophen and related and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that overuse of Acetaminophen can cause permanent liver damage and even death. In regards to other OTC products there is a risk of gastrointestinal bleeding and kidney damage even if patients take the correct dosage. I thought I would back my statement up because I know their are some on this site who have chosen to take OTC Drugs (as I do sometimes) to relieve pain. Go figue-we were told before that an Aspirin a day can help you and now this. One can never win-can we. Ron

kerri lyn angel

Re: FDA Warning on OTC Drugs
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 06:17:34 pm »
yeah tahts true otc's can be injurious to the body and... i was taking ibuprofen for about a solid year for my head and neckaches since surgery and found that it not only ceased working in any way at some point but it also increased my acid reflux disease (a condition i aready had prior to my an) so beware of all drugs
large an removed june 1, 2005 14.5 hour trans lab surgery permenantly disabled but breathing

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 07:35:52 pm »
With all the pain symptoms prior to my diagnosis and surgery, and and all the pain since, I suppose I have destroyed my insides because I overdose constantly trying to get some pain releif.  I do have a bit of acid reflux. Seemed to flare up after the surgery. I kind of thought maybe it was from the pipe being down my throat for so many hours. Had not attributed it to OTC's.  hhmmm!!

Patti Ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 08:22:30 pm »
Acetaminophen is the major problem.  I was aware of that years ago.  When a dog down the street ran into my left knee and torqued it, I had to have major surgery.  It ripped the miniscus badly.  This was a miniture Bull Mastiff named, "Tank."  It was a tank and now I have a bad knee from it.  I didn't take the anti-inflammatory drug, the three pills.........four times a day like the surgeon recommended.  I had major swelling after surgery but, I know about those pills damaging the liver.  This is the TRUTH!  Be very careful of your drugs.

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

kerri lyn angel

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 09:54:04 am »
dear bruce, youre the second person ive heard of recently who has found out they are allergic it ibuprofen. a friend of mine was prescribed it after an outpatient female surgery and got very sick. interesting.
large an removed june 1, 2005 14.5 hour trans lab surgery permenantly disabled but breathing