Author Topic: Neck pain & headache related pain  (Read 20152 times)

Palace

• Palace
Neck pain & headache related pain
« on: December 17, 2006, 03:12:05 am »
Hi

I'm just curious how many people really do attribute neck pain and headaches to the AN.  I can open a headache "thread," as Paul (CrazyCat) suggested.

I will get some of my issues/symptoms resolved or the origin in due time.  *(hopefully, when I go over things with the Stanford doctors in six month after my next MRI and audiologist testing)  Also, next Friday I will ask my first ENT doctor, many new questions.

Since I'm about out of Imitrex now, I could ask this doctor for the injectable Imitrex and my insurance would help pay for that new prescription while, I await out my timing on the pills.  I even have the Imitrex spays for emergencies on the road or when I have no water to take the pill.  (the spray is only 30 mg where the pill is 100 mg of Imitrex)  Oh for those who use the injection........how does that work and how many mg is it available?

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
Re: Neck pain & headache related pain
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 03:23:16 am »
 ::)

I forgot to mention that some of you read that I got a prescription for Valium about one month ago.  I haven't taken this pill for more years than I wish to admit.  (gives away my age; lol)  Anyway, I decided to get this prescription when I was under the stress of symptoms of the AN and nothing else would help me sleep.  Much to my surprise, this pill helps the MOST for neck, perhaps the facial and ear pain as well but,.........for sure helps the neck pain.  I haven't taken this pill long enough to be sure about helping those symptoms other than a BIG difference on the neck pain for me.  (sugh a relief but, I don't want to continue on Valium as a alternative for relief of pain)  I would be addicted to Valium, not good!  Here I go again back to thinking holistic and wondering if the Valerian root would help the neck pain.  Forgive me for thinking, "holistic" again.  I just don't want to be on hard perscribed drugs.  Any thoughts or ideas on all that?

Palace
single sided deafness

Lorenzo

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 03:27:34 am »
Well, Valium works to relax muscles, so that's probably why it works for the neck pain. Does Valerian work to relax muscles too, and does it actually work for sleep? Just wondering.
Ciao, Lorenzo

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 04:51:51 am »
Lorenzo,

With my experience using Valerian Root, yes it does relax me and help for sleeping.  I think I wlll go take the max dose for that right now.  It is 3:00 AM now and I had better get to bed.  I have no headache so far tonight but, didn't spend much time laying down.  (up on the compute and doing house things)  I could start a sleep thread, if you wish!  Yes, Valerian root helps with AN symptoms for me but, of course the harder stuff, (Valium) works the best so far.

Regards,

Palace
single sided deafness

Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 06:33:18 am »
HI Palace,

I see that you're just finished with CK. I had problems sleeping right after CK too, but then things settled ok. At least, that was until recently. The past year (I think, can't even remember when it started) I've been sleeping at a different schedule. Maybe thigns will settle for you though. Sure hope. You need good sleep for your recovery.

Wish you happy and restful Christmas and New Year.

Lorenzo

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 09:26:46 pm »
The Imitrex injectable comes with a statdose pen and is 6 g (or 600mg) it is a pretty big dose. However, I get mine in vials instead of the pen, and give myself manual doses of 2g. It works pretty much the same and I can take it more often. I still have the statdose pen in case I get samples of the pre-filled ampules--I use the pen to inject it into an empty vial and then manually inject. This stuff has saved me from going to the ER since I started using it. It is my wonder drug!
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 12:36:16 am »
Hi all,

I hope this might help someone suffering from neck and headaches. I try to post every so often when the subject of headaches comes up because I know how frustrating finding a treatment that works can be. The treatments seem to be all over the place and there doesn't seem to be any agreement on the best treatment for headache ANers.  I guess it is whatever works after a lot of trial and error. Thanks to all of you that post the pros and cons of your headache treatments!

I am receiving Botox injections by a headache neurologist every 3 months for neck stiffness and headaches (specific trigger points). It is a great muscle relaxer. The advantage for me is that it works where I need it and leaves the rest of me alone. It doesn't cause fatique like some of the other meds that I tried. Botox doesn't help with the sharp stabbing pains in the back of my head (Indocin does) but it definitly stops the chain reaction of muscle tightning and dull headaches that the sharp pains seem to trigger. Works well for me.

I take Melatonin to help me sleep. An article from the local health food store said that it had a similar chemical structure as Indocin and was found to help with stabbing type head pain. I think it does help me sleep but I don't think it does anything for my headaches.

Also, I found that bending my head forward when I sleep triggers head pain. I have read a lot of posts where others wake from a sound sleep with headaches too.  I found that wearing a soft neck brace at night keeps my neck straight while sleeping. I look like a dork. Another trick is to wear a ThermaCare heatwrap under it. It heats for 8 hours and keeps your neck relaxed.

Deb, Does the Imitrex help with stabbing pains or are your headaches more like a migraines. I would love to replace the Indocin with Imitrex because I am not sure how much longer my stomache can take the Indocin. I'm not sure if it would work for my type of headache though.

Janet 
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 06:46:21 am »
Janet,

Imitrex cures my stabbing headaches, as well but, let's also ask the "Captain" about her thought on that, too.

Palace
single sided deafness

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 07:51:27 pm »
The Imitrex helps with what I call "brainwrecks" which mostly occur in the middle of the night, but sometimes after an activity like stretching a canvas.  They start out as stabbing pain, but progress into a throbbing, migraine type. These are  always preceeded by several days of severe neck pain, for which I take muscle relaxers (Skelaxin) do alot of stetching, and use moist heat. I see the Headache Wizard in a few weeks and will discuss botox with him. Of course, not covered by my insurance, but maybe he can talk to them for me. 4 years of incapacitating headaches and thousands of dollars in doc bills and meds may convince them.
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

lmurray69

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 09:19:51 pm »
 I told the MD here in home town about my stabing headaches, and he said just be patient they will go away when the brain settles..I would like to try imitrex ,is it exspencive. I have insurance.. I wake up with headsches and then go all day . the eveing I get stabing ones. real quick sharp pains in an side and down the neck..They took xray and found calisum on the left side so did CT and it said that I have dejentive disk in spine.. He said , there is your head ache..Jerk
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 12:53:31 am »
I get one more set of Botox injections in February that is part of the headache study I am on. It is free and they pay me for being in the study. I call in a phone report every day and go into the office once a month for a year. I recently asked if I was the only AN patient in the study and they said no. I know that other facilities around the country are participating in the study so you might be able to find one near you. I think finding a doctor that is experienced in giving the injections in the right spots is important. Ther are numerous and very specific spots and doses for injections. (I've seen the charts.) For the first 6 months half get Botox and half get a placebo. The last 6 months everyone gets Botox. It was obvious that I got Botox from the start by how much better I felt. Whew!

At the end of the study I will get a report of the findings. At this point, I have no idea if it is working for others, I just know that after February, I will find a way to continue. My doctor said she will talk to the insurance company. If the study shows a benefit, which includes cost trade-offs and improvement in quality of life, the hope is that insurance companies will cover it for migraines. It has already been approved for other problems and insurance will cover it.

I'll see about the Imitrex when the study is completed. Meanwhile, I'll keep babying my stomache while on the Indocin.

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Static

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 06:20:53 pm »
I have to be careful what I take because of stomach problems as well (perforated ulcer in '99) and take nexiumm daily.  My headaches are on the top front of my head and are like a constant pain/pressure that just doesn't let up.  Sometimes excedrin will relieve it a little and sometimes it goes away on its' own.  It probably would go away on its own it's a matter of how long can I stand the pain!  I have tried so many meds, it's a wonder they haven't run out by now.  Am mostly sick of the side effects and have gained about 10 pounds a year since my AN surgery  :-[ .  I have tried both melatonin and valerian root and neither seemed to do anything for me.   Everyone is different!  I haven't noticed any accompanying neck pain but do have very very (can I stress very) tight muscles in my shoulders and neck all the time, regardless of headache or not!  I guess I should look into a headache clinic as opposed to the neurologist I have seen but I'm just tired of doctors and tests and everything related!  Will post if I learn anything new!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

judzie

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 11:14:26 pm »
I am a first time poster. I wish I would of know about this site before I made my decision to have Gamma Knife done in July of 2006 for a 2 cm AN in my left ear. My doctor never told me that headaches was a side affect of Gamma Knife. My Gamma Knife procedure was a nightmare.  I never went back to the ENT doctor that did the procedure. I have been suffering from severe headaches,earaches and neck pain ever since. Before the procedure I rarely ever had headaches. Now I have them ever day. I also have a collection of pain medications that do not work for my head pain but they do a number on your stomach. I had to see a gastrologist who told me to stay off the pain medication because the lining of my stomach is inflamed from the pills. It's very disheartening that all doctors can offer you are pills and no solution to why they are occurring. Sometimes I get the feeling that they think I'm making it up.My new ENT tells me in time they will go away.From reading what posted here that doesn't seem to be the case.That is very frightening me. I just want my life back presurgery. I regret having the surgery done. Now I wish I would of taken a wait and see attitude.  I go next week for my first 6 month MRI.

Static

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 10:35:08 am »
I'm sorry to hear that you are having the headaches after your gamma knife.  I had microsurgery and I really don't know that much about gamma knife except that wasn't the route I wanted to take.  My AN was kind of compressing my brain stem and I just wanted the thing out!  There are some other posters on the site who have had gamme knife/radiosurgery and who also may be able to offer you some words of advice.  Just do a search, I'm sure you'll find something more encouraging.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

cin605

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 03:16:38 pm »
Just thought i would pop in and say..This is a very interesting thread.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old