Author Topic: Barometric headaches  (Read 20922 times)

tammyk

Barometric headaches
« on: December 16, 2006, 12:14:45 pm »
Two months ago during a rain shower which we have quiet often here in Jamaica there was a loud clap of thunder. Right after the thunder my left ear started hurting. The next morning I awoke with red blood spots in my eye. I have never been one to have headaches,maybe one a year. Now when it is going to rain my head hurts that even 800 ibuprofen does not help. After a nights sleep in the morning the headache is slight but gradually if its a rainy day it gets worse that I am the most horrible person to be around.
ANY HELP PLEASE

Palace

• Palace
Re: Barometric headaches
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 12:20:29 pm »
 :o

Hello:

I guess this is an AN person and if so, notice I posted to the doctor's Cyberknife with that very question, awhile back and awaiting a doctor reply.

I've had a migraine headache for the past two weeks almost daily or nightly.  I take 100 mg of Imitrex for that but, it needs a doctor prescription.

Be careful not to ruin your tummy with Aspirin.

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 05:59:53 pm »
Hi Tammyk,

I have recorded a definete cooralation to the barometric pressure changes when storms are coming in. The head gets filled up with extreem pressure and the headache is horrible.  I had really bad headaches before my AN surgery, but never the pressure build up with the storms.  have you had treatment for an AN?   Other than the dreaded hurrivcanes, I'll bet the weather is nice in jamica

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 08:53:37 pm »
yep there is def. a correlation between headaches and barametric pressure.  I can predict the weather now  LOL  I'm as accurate as the weathermen around here  LOL  Sucks though!

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 12:30:13 am »
It is true that health, headaches and well-being can be influenced by barometric pressure. The Germans actually have a specific word for this: "Wettersmertz" I think. Translated: "weather-pain". (and no, not window pane Captn' Deb!!!!) That would be "Fenstersmertz" or something.........oh, forgive me......."DAS fenstersmertz"........

Paul

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 09:27:26 am »
I mentioned my weather related headaches to my doc and told him that the pain is above my right eye not back on the incision and he didn't think it was An related!! Well I never had this problem before surgery and now 2 1/2 yrs later I consistenly get a dull ache in my right temple every time the weather changes....seems to me it is related.  I like the term Barometric Headache...I'll try to remember that.  ;D
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 07:19:06 pm »
It is true that health, headaches and well-being can be influenced by barometric pressure. The Germans actually have a specific word for this: "Wettersmertz" I think. Translated: "weather-pain". (and no, not window pane Captn' Deb!!!!) That would be "Fenstersmertz" or something.........oh, forgive me......."DAS fenstersmertz"........

Paul

Paul,   window what???  Being a 70's & 80's gal  I can't imagine what your talking about.

patti ut

2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 10:16:40 am »
I can now predict a  cold front moving in... between my back surgery and my AN treatment, I just keep my Imitrex nearby as I know it's a guarantee I'll need it.

Stay well, all!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Static

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 07:37:56 pm »
The headaches are getting really bad again, must be the barometer.  I don't feel like I can do this anymore.  I'm just tired of  being a guinea pig and nothing is helping me!  Although I'm not supposed to take excedrin right now because of my stomach, I took two in hopes of a little relief so I can sleep because I have to get up early tomorrow to take my pup for her spay surgery.  I called my doctor's office today, he won't be in until tomorrow. I'm just tired of all these years of headaches  >:(  Thanks for letting me get this out of my system.  Gonna go drink a cup of hot choc and try to sleep!
~K
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 12:29:37 pm »
Static,

I hear ya! Dealing with these headaches is really tiresome. I've had to approach it from all angles and it sure takes the the fun out of things. It seems that anything that causes a tinge of swelling or muscle strain can set it off. I think the thread on barometric pressure relates to this. When you mentioned that you were going to drink some hot chocolate, I thought to myself that thie chocolate would trigger a headache for me. Nuts and alcohol seem to cause just enough swelling in my head to push me towards a headache.  We have a huge extended family that lives in the same neighborhood and frequntly have parties. I get so sick of turning down the wine, chocolate and nuts but know that is what I need to do along with medications and injections to live a fairly normal life.

If you google "migraine diet" you should find a list of things and food to avoid.  I hope this helps.

Hang in there Static. I really believe there is a lot of research regarding pain relief going on and someday this will be in our past.

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 01:42:13 pm »
  In thinking about barometric changes affecting AN patients.  I'm begining to wonder if having AN and/or AN treatment affects our ability to regulate CSF pressure. Some An patients certainly seem to be more sensitive to external pressure changes.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Static

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 06:11:03 pm »
Janet,
I already knew, but my doctor finally realized that my headaches are migraine in nature but he called it something like daily chronic headache syndrome something or other!  I have headaches daily, some worse than others.  I thought my head was going to explode this morning when I got up.  Sometimes it's worse than others.  My GP doc wants me to go see a neurologist again but it's a pita trying to get an appointment and I don't feel like I'm getting any relief.  I've been going through this for many many years both pre and post AN.  I've tried to relate it to if I have a drink, or if I eat chocolate, etc. but haven't found any correlation other than stress making it worse (but not always).  Like I said, it's just very tiring.  I've tried avoidance but.... well, you can't avoid something that becomes controlling  :'(   Just been feeling a bit frustrated, thanks for your kind words!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 04:56:55 am »
tammyk: the only helpful treatment I have found is to go to bed and stay there until the darn headache is gone, no drugs or natural measures otherwise have help in the 16 years I've been fighting the "after efects" of AN
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Static

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 10:32:37 am »
Yep, the going to bed thing helps but isn't always feasible for me  :-\.   If so, I would probably spend alot of my day in bed and that's just not possible!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 01:04:22 pm »
Ok, have to ask... have had quite a few weather systems moving through the NE USA... Artic blasts from Canada, weather fronts from the South.. and all converging over the NE area of the States.  Have been having the headaches and massive ear pressure.....have tried a few tricks to aleviate the headaches and pressure, but not much working.... so, what works for you?

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"