Author Topic: Information on BAHA  (Read 6317 times)

1wareagle

Information on BAHA
« on: December 15, 2006, 08:13:38 am »
I am waiting surgery in Los Angeles with Dr. Brackmann at HEI Jan. 4. My AN is 3.2cm. He will be performing the Translab Approach on me which will leave me deaf in that ear. His office called me today wanting to know if I wanted a BAHA implant. My insurance said they would not pay at first but after Dr. Brackmann recoeded it now they will pay. What I am wanting to know is it really worth it to have this device? I am 46 yrs old, male with short hair. All the pictures I have found on the BAHA show a lady with long hair. She can hide it but I can't. Do any other males have the BAHA and how are you fairing with it. Ellis ???
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Information on BAHA
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 09:46:06 am »
This is me about 3 months after the surgery ..

today, now a year later .. you can hardly see it .. sorry I don't have any recent pictures ...

the surgery is a little messy, compared to the AN .. and takes a about 3 months for it to heel up right, but I'm glad I did it .. if you work in an office type of job . its works well for meetings and such .. outdoor stuff, working in the garden , mowing the lawn, snow, and fishing .. I leave it at home .. I'm 42 now....

Also check out http://www.baha-users-support.com/cgi-bin/2bb/2bb.cgi
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:49:46 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

1wareagle

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 10:40:29 am »
Thanks Joef, Did you have your BAHA installed at HEI? Also I read where the patient has to wait 3 months for the anchor to set to the head before they installed the device. Is this true? Im from Mississippi and will not be able to go back for this. If its true I need to find someone closer home to do the implant.I've put in a call to HEI and waiting for a call back.  Ellis
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan

Joef

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 02:09:39 pm »
yep I was at HEI... it takes 3 months for everyone .. the need the implant "snap" .. to heal before they give you a sound processer to plug in

1wareagle

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 02:43:43 pm »
Joef, Did you have to go back to Los Angeles when the 3 mts. were up or did you just snap it in yourself at home? Sorry for being so dumb but I can't get the Dr. office to call me back.  Ellis

Joef

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 03:54:03 pm »
Yes, I did go back after the 3 months .. it was kinda like a vacation ..  I was not driving yet .. but I was able to go out and eat see the sights etc.. something I was not able to do when in had the AN out ... maybe they can do the surgery .. and have a local guy give you the unit after 3 months..

They will call .. they usually call in the evenings .. after all, he does have a day job ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 03:56:00 pm by Joef »

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 07:10:41 pm »
If you check with Dave_S121 he may give you some info on the BAHA also. He has been very helpful to me in my journey.
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife