Author Topic: Has anyone out there used Dr Mangham or Dr Steege in Seattle?  (Read 7545 times)

mh

Has anyone out there used Dr Mangham or Dr Steege in Seattle?
« on: December 14, 2006, 03:22:27 am »
Hi,

Wondering if anyone out there can share their experiences with either / both of these doctors.

Thanks so much,

MH :)

Raydean

Re: Has anyone out there used Dr Mangham or Dr Steege in Seattle?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 02:52:20 pm »
Doctor's Mangham and Steege did my husbands residual tumor surgery ( a different medical team did the first surgery)  These Doctors were amazing. My husbands case was a difficult one, made more difficult by not knowing what went on during the first surgery.  They both took the time to explain everything, kepted me informed along the way.   It was really a teamwork effort.  I was able to ask unlimited questions and to this day, years later both Doctors have answered questions that have come up over time.   My husband states that his recovery from this surgery was much easier then the first, it wasn't just due to it being a more minor surgery then the first,  but the result of a more experienced medical team.   I can personally attest to the medical experience and knowledge of this medical team.  Next to God's hands my husband could not of been in better hands.
Please feel free to email me directly

Best to you
raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

littlemissrory

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 02:15:38 pm »
MH

Honestly, they are two of my most favorite people in the world...they gave me my way of life back and I feel great!  I could gush on and on- or you can contact me direct through e-mail.

Short and sweet, I had retrosigmoid surgery with them both in May 2004 after 4 months of falling over, vomiting, nausea.  I was planning on moving to Seattle anyway and when I was finally diagnosed (I was in Sandpoint Idaho) my 2nd opinion ENT said to go see Mangham (in his words..."he's the best").  Being a Ski Racing Coach I didn't feel I had the choice to wait even though my tumor was only 6mm x 8mm...couldn't keep falling!  As soon as I met Mangham I knew he was the perfect doc for me...that is key.  It's your head, and regardless of who says who is the best it comes down to YOU and who YOU are comfortable with. 

They saved my hearing, face and balance nerves.  I was back in my whitewater kayak (on the lake) practicing rolls a month later and skied in early November without a hitch.  The first day on snow was a little challenging as it was a whiteout and blowing snow in deep powder.  I was very fortunate, I had a very quick recovery and again...everyone is different. 

My advise...meet the doctors, choose someone with alot of experience whom you are comfortable with and make your decision based all on you.  That could mean surgery, watch/wait, GK- be confident and go with what your body tells you...trying not to compare yourself to others.

I live in the Seattle area and if I can be of any help please feel free to contact me.  Best of luck with your path.

Cheers,
Rory

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 12:19:47 pm »
I met with Mangham for a consult to remove my left AN october 06 and felt that if I were to go traditional route it would be him, Steege opens the skull and closes, Mangham does the resection.
a great team.
I think they worked on Kathy Gertzen, popular seattle news reporter.

I ended up going Endoscopic with Shahinian at skull base institute.
I didn't want anybody retracting my cerebellum, and wanted less invasive, but you are really on your own because most traditionalists do not even know about it (whole other topic).

I know if I wouldve gone Mangham, it wouldv've been in a VERY SUPPORTIVE environment.
My ENT shunned me after he found out that I didn't go to Mangham, "the one I referred you to",
He wouldn't treat me afterwards. I had to go to my PCP to have my staples removed.
so much for patient self determination.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 09:12:10 pm »

Hi,

Wondering if anyone out there can share their experiences with either / both of these doctors.

Thanks so much,

MH :)

Hi MH

I see that you haven't posted in a while so perhaps you don't need anymore info. on the doctors but I thought I would post just encase you still need a bit of help. Dr. Mangham and Dr. Raisis did my surgery back in 92.  I had a facial nerve tumor removed.  My doctor told me to have Dr. Mangham do the surgery as he was the best in all of the Northwest and California too!  I was told I had an Acoustic Neuroma but Dr. Mangham found that it was a Facial Nerve Tumor.  As I live in Spokane I had to travel to see him and as we had to small children and my husband supported us we skipped the month before pre-opt visit and went with the doctor consultation followed by the surgery.  My surgery went well, I was able to do things they thought I wouldn't after the surgery.  The down side is that I never regained the tearing in my left eye.  I can honestly tell you that Dr. Mangham cares about his patients, even before he meets them as my insurance company told me I had to use someone in the system or I would have to pay for 1/2 of all the costs.  I called Dr. Mangham to cancel my surgery and told him who would do my surgery.  He told me he wouldn't cancel the surgery and would get back to me.  That afternoon his office called and told me that he, the hospital and everyone involved in my surgery would except whatever the insurance company would pay them.  Thankfully he did that as I mentioned before the tumor was on the facial nerve and the doctor in the system wasn't qualified to do the surgery, not to mention that he had only done the AN surgeries for a year.  I remember that he was a very serious man which is not surprising as what he does if very important and serious. I also judge people on their ability to add humor to make you feel better.  Dr. Mangham told me that he would need to take part of a nerve out of my neck to replace the damaged nerve, he would then need to take some fat from my stomach to fill in the gap where the neck nerve was, I told him to take all the fat he needed, he laughed, I took that as a good sign.  I hope that you are doing well and that Dr. Mangham is taking good care of you.  Take Care Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.