Author Topic: Facial muscles going beserk  (Read 2808 times)

amn70

Facial muscles going beserk
« on: July 12, 2005, 12:35:11 pm »
Hey There,

Up until this post, I feel like I have been Miss "rah rah, stay positive, everything will be fine" but lately I am feeling not so fine and want to turn where people truly understand.

I am nearly six months post-op (1.5 right side AN, FSR 10/01 & translab 1/05) and the newest fabulous sensation has been the muscles on my right side of the face going haywire. I went from total paralysis and taping my eye closed to now having difficulty keeping it open and having my mout slant up like the Joker. My facial therapist says my nerves are just "refiring" and I was told that my major nerves were not severed during my surgery. But nonetheless, it feels like someone is taking their hand and smashing it down on the right-side of my face.

I just needed to vent, get support and see if someone else is experiencing this. I am tired of people asking "Why do you think it's doing that? Why does your eye look like it's drooping? What's up with your mouth? PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM SO HAPPY THAT I HAVE IMPROVED (able to walk/run five miles, lift weights, work a 10 hour day) but this is just getting me a little down. Thanks for listening.

A.

Cheryl R

Re: Facial muscles going beserk
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 04:39:11 pm »
  You are now experiencing some synkinesis and I am surprised the facial therapist did not comment on this.     As the facial nerve heals they sometimes  cause the wrong muscles to work.     One can do some work to direct the muscles to work better but may not be completely changed.   I have some of this and did visit a facial therapist.        A good source to read is www.bellspalsy.ws      There is a good link on facial retraining as one of the links on the left.               
                          Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

amn70

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 08:45:45 am »
Thank you, Cheryl for that web link!

My therapist did mention synkinesis and we are doing a wide variety of stretching exercises on my face to work these muscles along with soothing ultrasound on the right side of the face. I am also meditating at night before I go bed.  I just needed to vent. Thanks again for the info.

wanderer

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 08:46:54 am »
I had something similar.   Lots of twitching.   everyday.   But over the last week it appears to be going away.   It probably lasted about a month where it progressively got worse  then it seems it has started to clear up.

It's annoying but better than nothing working like before.