Author Topic: ringing in ears  (Read 13104 times)

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
ringing in ears
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:47:10 am »
With Radiosurgery, does the ringing in the ears ever go away?
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

mylump

Re: ringing in ears
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 03:31:32 am »
As far as I know, it's unlikely. Tinnitus is here to stay, regardless of the treatment. Maybe there are cases when it vanished, but I haven't heard of one yet.
Anybody else have a view or different experience with tinnitus?
There are things one can do about tinnitus and American Tinnitus Association have a lot of details about it. For more information on tinnitus, the American Tinnitus Association has a good website.
Regards, Lorenzo

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 08:44:00 am »
Hi Sam,

In my case (I had CK in April, '06), I found my tinnitus/ringing in ears to diminish substantially!  Only when I am overly tired and stressed does it occur.  As you know, each individual result will vary but in my case, my tinnitus is barely noticeable.

Best wishes to you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mylump

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 10:16:55 am »
Mine gets worse with tiredness and stress too! I got used to it, even if it hasn't got quieter really. Some sounds are easier to get used to, others less so, depending on the pitch and type of sound. I was 'lucky', I have the rustling leaves type, with the occasional stream rushing past.

Indeed, we're all different, and maybe yours will react totally differently to mine.

All the best, Lorenzo

michael

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 08:15:37 pm »
GK 4/2004 and the ringing appears to be the same, always and forever. The difference is if I am thinking about it or not. I would love to have a moment of quiet but the best I think I will ever have is time (and there are a lot of them) that I just don't think about it.
It is just a part of my environment now. I feel very fortunate, no other symptoms.
Good luck!

Michael
11 MM AN - Gamma Knife 4/2004 - Wake Forest/Baptist Hospital - North Carolina, Dr. Ed Shaw

marystro

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 11:02:03 am »
My ringing (or swooshing sound) is much louder lately.  My guess is stress or fatigue related.  I find that if I rest well, it's less.  I am hoping the volume will diminish over time.  It's kind of annoying.  Since everyone is different, I wonder if there is any relationship between the volume pre and post CK?

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

Dealy

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 11:37:42 am »
The first time I had surgery on my left ear-17 years ago. The ringing is always with me-I just tuned it out. The 2nd time around with my 2nd AN I had FSR-25 sessions. Ringing is not so bad. I was told by doctors and I am sure that you know this already to stay away from chocolate-caffiene of any kind-smoking-or liquor of any kind. So you can have your pleasure or scrafice the goodies. I stay away from this and I know it does make a difference. It is not easy-especially during the holidays to turn down goodies-but I would rather do that then having screaming in my ear. Ron

mylump

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 11:44:46 am »
Mary,

I found that my tinnitus went up in volume, and changed pitch on and off too, after CK. But only about 6 months post. It was due apparently to some swelling of the tumour that showed up at the time. Now, it just gets loud if I'm tired or stressed or exposed to noise. In fact, noise is now my problem number one. Avoid it, and all is fine, back to rustling leaves.

Ciao, Lorenzo

marystro

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 12:57:48 pm »
Lorenzo (and Phyl and others..),

Thanks.  You are giving me hope.  So only post CK 4 months, I should not be complaining.  Waiting to report that my swooshing sound dying down.

Going to take that nap or snuggle up in bed to watch "Girl with a Pearl Earring" that my customer gave to me last week on my laptop...

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

Windsong

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 08:09:35 pm »
does it go away? i haven't heard that from any of my An reading.... then again i don't read everything....

my own tinnitus changes all the time.... after writing that, I paused to listen.... the only thing i hear this moment in time is a stereo in another room, a couple of other normal household noises,  and while writing this became aware, yes, that there is that faint bell ringing i hear....
my tinnitus has changed over time....
not knowing it but understanding it in hindsite, my most vicious tinnitus happened when i went to bed one night and while drifting off was assailed by the sound of what I thought was a fly in my ear?! the next half hour i spent dancing around my bedroom, shaking, slapping my ear, turning upside down in order to shake this "fly" out.....it has to be one of the first half hours of my life....

that was a long time before my An was discovered....

since, it has changed volume/pitch... it has been a train, a bell ringing, it has been a buzz, it has been all sorts of things.....

over time maybe i have become used to it all or maybe it has  more "quiet" moments or maybe i have unconsciously adapted in some fashion out of a sense of preseravtion...
in any case, there are sound machines that i have heard help that... i have never tried one, instead avoid noisy or prolonged nosiy environments....
that is my experience....

hope yours does get better....
Windsong

ps. maybe only once since that first episode have i experienced that "fly " sound and it was a rather short duration.

Sam

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 08:43:52 pm »
I hope I never get to the "fly" issue, I might start sleeping with a bug light. But I have to say that since my treatment, I have not noticed a whole lot of change in my hearing, or the tinnitus. I can live with it if it stays like it currently is.
The strangest sound I have heard, is the sound of a soundsystem shorting out, or like an amplifier sounds as you unplug a guitar power cord from it. that was spooky. I was sitting on my laptop listening to my Bible DVD when this occured. I did not know whether to start praying, or call my precher to come bless my home.
Sam
                         UAB Gammaknife

vjharris

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 09:07:10 pm »
Last night a awoke with a strange "beeping" in my AN ear which I could only hear when everything else was drowned out with my ear on my pillow. Since I recently had Gamma Knife, I was sure this was the worsening of my tinnitus. The sound was so strange, I wondered if I should call the Dr.
When I told my husband he started laughing...
HE HAD FALLEN ASLEEP WITH THE TELEPHONE IN BED WITH US.

...yeah...I think it's time to lighten up...
VJH
2.2x2.37 right side meningioma or acoustic neuroma
Gamma Knife Dec 5, 2006

Sam

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 09:18:37 pm »
VJH, That was pretty good, we do need these humors to break the monotony from our issues. I just about fell off my couch after I read your whole comment.
Good luck to the both of us now being post-ops. I will have to make sure my wife does not fall asleep with the phone in her hand. I have heard enough weird noises, and had too many scares.
Sam
                         UAB Gammaknife

Windsong

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 10:48:36 pm »
Sam, I am still laughing....

heaps of thanks.
W.

Sam

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 12:06:08 am »
Yeah! We have to laugh, to get through this, that is part of the healing process. and it leaves us with good memories. speaking of memories, I was talking to my supervisor the other day, (my wife has him convinced that I have bad memory loss with my AN) and he was asking me about something I had mentioned doing while out of office in the field a few hours prior. My supervisor ask me ,Do you remember what you mentioned earlier?, Do you want to follow through with it?, so I just look at him with a serious look , shook my head, and rubbed my AN ear and said "I don't know what your talking about, sir". Now, when he starts to ask me a question, he walks off saying "Never mind, I forgot, you don't remember", so we can have some fun with this, If we don't get set up for mental evaluations first.
                         UAB Gammaknife