Author Topic: Removal of rod in skull from a bone anchor hearing aid  (Read 698 times)

Serenitysusie

Removal of rod in skull from a bone anchor hearing aid
« on: October 20, 2023, 09:37:37 am »
I have had the BAHA for 7 yrs now and nothing but problems.  I have always had infections, soreness around the abutment, whole side of my right always hurting, swelling, burning sensations and itching.  I had the screw removed thinking this was the problem.  It has been a year since that and still have issues.  Well come to find out I am allergic to the titanium screw in my head and it needs to be removed.  Any other people gone through this removal??

donjehle

Re: Removal of rod in skull from a bone anchor hearing aid
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 08:19:19 pm »
Hi Serenitysusie, and thank you for posting on the forums!

I have not had BAHA, so I have not experienced what you have.  And it sounds like anyone who is not allergic to titanium would not have any issues.

But you sharing your story is so valuable because, even though no one has responded to your post in a month, there might be someone later who experiences the same symptoms after BAHA of infections, soreness, hurting, swelling, burning sensations, and itching.  And they might wonder why they are going through these symptoms.  Your post might cause them to explore titanium sensitivity with their provider.  So your post is a great resource.  Thanks again for sharing it with us!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.