Author Topic: Looking for information, guidance.  (Read 807 times)

jm778899

Looking for information, guidance.
« on: September 03, 2023, 07:05:16 am »
Hello,

Recently received MRI results. I am looking for what my potential options may be. I'm relatively young (37M) with a good amount of hearing still in my effective ear. I have seen many different options for surgery, but looking for what is lease amount of recovery time to minimize missing work.

I have included my MRI report results below. From what I gather, the tumor appears to be 'medium' sized.

It extends from the mid to distal portion of the
internal auditory canal through the porus acusticus
which is widened and into the right cerebellopontine angle. It measures up to 1.6 x 1.7 x 1.4 cm (AP by
transverse by craniocaudal). It mildly deforms the right middle cerebellar peduncle without evidence
of signal abnormality.

DanFouratt

Re: Looking for information, guidance.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 10:06:25 am »
There are two surgical procedures that can preserve hearing.  The decision is dependent upon where the tumor is.  If you go to the video library posted 6/5/23 (presented 6/3/23) is a great overview of the various treatments for ANs.  It was done by Cedar in CA

the title is something like "Various Treatments for Acoustic Neuromas"

Dan Fouratt             63 years old
Vestibular Schwannoma
Discovered 9/15/21  5mm x 11mm
MRI 4/11/22            No change
MRI 1/9/23              7mm x 13 mm
MRI 6/19/23            No change
CK  9/15/23             TBD Not Scheduled

Greece Lover

Re: Looking for information, guidance.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 07:42:04 am »
sorry you had to join the club.  Two options can save hearing: Middle fossa and retrosigmoid.  these are two different approaches to the tumor.  One from above the ear and one from back and behind it.  In general, Middle fossa has better rates at hearing retention, but it is only appropriate for smaller tumors.  My guess is yours is right on the edge.  Mine was 1.2 cm and my surgeon said it was "on the large side of medium."  The other factor is not as many surgical centers do middle fossa, because there are not as many reasons to go through the skull from that direction.  So it might be worth asking a few different places.

Good luck, and happy to answer more questions if you have them.

Greece Lover
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.