Author Topic: 3cm AN, is there a way to preserve hearing?  (Read 873 times)

Bougainvillea

3cm AN, is there a way to preserve hearing?
« on: July 26, 2023, 07:33:52 pm »
Hello! I was diagnosed with AN a month ago… slightly over 3cm. Currently looking for the best treatment options… I do not have any symptoms other than the right facial numbness which started back in May… no issues with hearing, tinnitus, headaches, or balance. I am leaning towards surgery but is there a way to preserve my hearing even with this size tumor? Has anyone retained hearing after the retrosigmoid? Thank you!

rejoiceforebermore

Re: 3cm AN, is there a way to preserve hearing?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 12:34:37 pm »
Hi! I have a similar issue and question as you do. I noticed a mild but persistent facial and tongue numbness on my right side last Dec and finally went to go get it checked out just two months ago. After an MRI, they found a 3cm Schwannoma and the neurosurgeon said a craniotomy was the only way for me as the tumor was big. She did mention there is a rish of hearing loss or facial muscle weakness (may cause drooping). I am also wondering if people have removed their AN and preserved their hearing and face.

ilti_1988

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 02:27:28 am »
Hi both, I had my retrosigmoid surgery a month ago and my hearing and face is preserved.

The long version is: I was diagnosed with AN in June and now is a little more than a month after surgery. I feel fine, slight balance issues, wonky head almost cleared, no headache, hearing  preserved (not sure if it is a little worse than before, and also has unconsistent tinnitus) and face preserved. Before the surgery I had only diziniess while walking and unconsistent blockege of my left ear.

The idea of retrosigmoid is to preserve the hearing, though during my consultations with different surgeons I was given chances to preserve it between 30 to 80%. It depends I guess of the location, size, experience of the surgeon and others...

Wish you good luck and to keep calm!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 08:38:43 am by ilti_1988 »
06.June23 - diziness-->AN left side 3,25x2,94x3,73cm
28.June23 - Retrosigmoid, Subtotal resection, Sofia BG, D-r Gergarnov
29.Sept23 - results from surgery: 2,5x2,3x1.9cm

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 03:11:14 pm »
I sure love it when new people post their questions!  And I love it when new people share their experiences in answer to someone's question!  I hope the three of you will continue to post on the forums and make this place your acoustic neuroma home.

Best wishes on your journeys!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.