Author Topic: Botox  (Read 1423 times)

bjhk

Botox
« on: May 28, 2023, 01:46:06 pm »
Hemi facial spasms for 2 months; Neurologist says Get Botox as I cannot tolerate gabapentin

He said there can be side effects from botox

He doesn't do botox, go to eye doctor

Experiences with botox will be appreciated

notaclone13

Re: Botox
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 02:28:54 pm »
I got BoTox Several times administered by a neuro-opthamologist that specializes in BoTox injections. I had mixed results. They certainly didnt stop the spasms. In fact, they seemed to make them worse for a few days after injection. It can take up to 10 days to see the effects of the injection. The first time he injected into my eyelid. After that my eyelid didn’t blink properly and I delivered a very uncomfortable dry eye. I had to consciously close both eyes to get my right eye to close. After that, he didn’t inject in the eyelid again. I think of the skill of the doctor giving the injections is important. If possible, take a cell phone video of you having a spasms, so the doc can see which muscles are involved in the process. I stopped getting botox because I developed a crooked smile and in the final analysis I didn’t feel like were helpful. To be honest, the only thing that really helps mine is a steroid dose pack. I’ve taken 2 of them spaced about 6 months apart and both times the spasms almost stopped for a few days. My doc doesn5 want me to stay on steroids, they’re awful for the bones. Have you tried a steroid dose pack?

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 09:46:28 am »
I have been getting injections for several years now.  Every 3 months.

I agree with what notaclone13 says for the most part. I haven’t tried a steroid pack though.

I don’t have any real side effects but was getting a few shots in the eyelid also. I had her ( an ophthalmologist who also specializes in eye surgery and Botox) stop the eyelid shots this last time due to my eye staying open too much also. She may go back with just one shot next time. I may lengthen the time between sessions also.

But I get it for synkenisis in different areas of my face. So I get about 8-10 shots from forehead to chin and some in throat  area. It has helped ,, seems to relax my face tension. 

I’d find a good ophthalmologist to do it if possible.
Good luck
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

gbly

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 11:38:45 am »
bjhk,
I too have had botox.  I had the opthamologist at the hospital do it too.  He did the shots in the neck to relax my chin and nose area.  and a shot in the upper and lower eye lid area.  For resting face it definitely balanced out my face, but my blinking does not match.  I don't think it ever will though and not a condition of botox.  But I did get dry eye a little as the eye would sometimes rest slightly open when I sleep.

I love botox and would say take it in small doses to see what you like.  I actually transitioned to having the botox on the "good side" and it balances out my face...mostly.  hahahaha

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dlip246

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 01:13:58 pm »
Hi all,

I am suffering from hemifacial spasms, but really they should be called "contractions" as it pulls the entire side of my face together, anywhere from 1-20/day.  They last about 1-2 minutes.  I too tried botox twice with zero results.  But i think that with what i am going through the botox would be less likely to help as opposed to someone suffering from constant spasms.  Anyway, a few shots in my eyelid and one or two next to my eye did nothing.  Has anyone had success with any other forms of treatments? 

Thanks,

David
1.4 x .83 x 6 cm (14 x 8.3 x 6 mm).  watched slowly grow for 2 years then CK January 2022.  3 months post CK hazy head, 6 months post CK now having hemifacial spams same side. Spasms haven't stopped almost one year after they started :(