Author Topic: Newly diagnosed, neck pain question  (Read 931 times)

Neleh

Newly diagnosed, neck pain question
« on: January 07, 2023, 10:12:20 am »
My 12/29/22 MRI shows I have a left 1.7cm acoustic neuroma that has grown into the cerebellopontine cistern and is right up to my cochlea. I have had tinnitus in that ear for 2 yrs. 6 months ago I started noticing hearing loss which I attributed to aging (71 yrs) and balance issues which I attributed to my cervical spinal stenosis. I am lucky to live in San Diego County and do have an appt with Dr Schwartz and Friedman this Monday 1/9/23 at UC San Diego.
I have also had some upper neck pain with headaches and feeling of fullness. With my history of the cervical spinal stenosis and my Spine doc and I were doing the preliminary steps for possible spine fusion. But then I started looking back and putting 2+2 together ... I had never even mentioned my hearing loss to my Spine doc.
I wonder how many of you out there have had neck pain that was attributed to their AN?
12/29/22 MRI: 1.7 x .9 x.7 
Tinnitus x 2yrs, partial hearing loss and balance issues x 6months
Appointment 1/9/23 @UCSD with Drs Schwartz 7 Friedman
Awaiting a date for Translab Surgery @UCSD

donjehle

Re: Newly diagnosed, neck pain question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 02:28:51 pm »
Thank you, Neleh, for posting on the ANA Forums and sharing your condition!

I did not have neck pain like you described, but that doesn't mean that it is unusual for acoustic neuromas to cause neck pain.  Our AN journeys can be so similar and so different!

I am anxious to hear how your visit with Drs. Schwartz and Friedman went today.  Please update us on this!

Best wishes!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

Neleh

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 09:58:24 am »
My visit with Dr Schwartz and Friedman 2 days ago went well, we discuss all the treatment options and I am awaiting a call from the UCSD Surgery Scheduler to set a date for Translab surgery. My balance symptoms although not severe, are affecting my daily life and being 71 and healthy right now, I opted to "get it out of there"!! No "wait and watch" or radiation for me. I then met with the UCSD AN Program Patient Navigator who was sooo helpful .... she fills in all the gaps of "stuff" that surgeons don't and connected me to the Program's Vestibular PT and I am going to start with him pre-surgery. As I start this journey and look toward the future ... maintaining my independence is key and that is why balance to me is the most important aspect to this. Of course, maintaining the facial nerve is important to me as well. I found it interesting to learn that our brains do better keeping our balance if there is no vestibular info coming in from the AN side rather than distorted info.
Onward .....
12/29/22 MRI: 1.7 x .9 x.7 
Tinnitus x 2yrs, partial hearing loss and balance issues x 6months
Appointment 1/9/23 @UCSD with Drs Schwartz 7 Friedman
Awaiting a date for Translab Surgery @UCSD

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 07:32:58 pm »
Thank you, Neleh, for sharing how your visit went!  Please keep us posted on how things go from here.  Your sharing is so invaluable for others who are going through the AN journey.

Best wishes,
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.