Author Topic: How important is location?  (Read 876 times)

HockeyDad7

How important is location?
« on: January 06, 2023, 09:12:35 am »
Hi!  I am a 42 year old male and was recently diagnosed with a small Acoustic Neuroma (7x5x5mm).  I’m glad that it’s small, but I’m wondering how important the location is?  Mine extends from the IAC to the “junction of the cochlea” and to the “superior semicircular canal”. I can’t seem to find much on these specifics online and my first appointment is still three weeks out.

Any information anyone can share specific to the importance of location would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Greece Lover

Re: How important is location?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 10:39:11 am »
HockyDad,

Sorry you had to join the club.  I'm obviously not a doctor, but my basic understanding is that it is better to have the tumor confined only to the IAC (interior auditory canal).  I think if yours is extending toward the cochlea, the main concern would be any treatment, or even watch and wait, it might be more like to impact your hearing. 

Obviously, an experience AN doc is the person to ask! 

I was 40 at diagnosis, and would call myself a "baseball dad," and can testify that life is good during and after AN diagnosis, so hang in there!

GreeceLover
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

donjehle

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 07:06:17 pm »
Hi HockeyDad7, and welcome to the ANA Forums!

Thank you for making your first post and sharing your experience with us.  Please update us over the next few weeks.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Greece Lover is very wise.  He has been a great blessing to me personally, and I trust his words of wisdom will be of encouragement to you, too.  He knows what he is talking about.

Best wishes on your journey!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

HockeyDad7

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 03:26:12 pm »
Thank you both very much for your thoughtful responses!  I’m eager to get to that first appointment and see what the recommended approach is.

Thanks again!