Author Topic: Did I hurt my hearing?  (Read 694 times)

Autumnbird

Did I hurt my hearing?
« on: November 01, 2022, 10:02:21 pm »
Will be grateful for any input. I had translab surgery in November 2021. Complete hearing loss in one ear after surgery and normal hearing in another. I was in a situation yesterday evening where I was exposed to almost one hour of continuous loud music—very loud. I had no way of leaving and no hearing protection. Others were complaining about how loud the music was and it was bothering me. At night, both my ears were hurting and felt hypersensitive. I am not worried about discomfort but am very anxious that I might have hurt my hearing (even if in a small way) given that my good ear is overworked/hypersensitized. Please advise. Thanks for replying! Just so upset that I was in this situation 😰
47 yr female
Progressive hearing loss, tinnitus since 2017
AN diagnosis left ear September 2021
1.5 cm width x 2.5 cm length
Translab November 2021
@ Univ of Iowa (Dr Marlan Hansen)
SSD, facial nerve preserved
Recovery slow but steady

gbly

Re: Did I hurt my hearing?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 12:36:18 pm »
Autumnbird,
I know how you feel, I am always worried about my good ear getting negatively impacted.  I am not an expert on this, but you definitely exceeded decibels for your ear and for longer than OSHA recommends.  Your ear cilia will need to get a rest and I know they are fragile.  Only a doctor can answer that, but I would play it safe going forward.  I have learned to carry 1 foam ear plug....people laugh but it works and small for a purse.
Good luck and I wish you good luck on your hearing.
GB