Author Topic: Question about removing the Titanium plate without replacing it back  (Read 1017 times)

Bp15

I had AN surgery 15 years ago, but in past 5 months had some headache and facial numbness on that side.  At first thought it was AN regrowing but it is not.  It is diagnosed as having Cholesterol Granuloma. 

Will have surgery soon to remove it, however, the surgeon suggests that I don’t need to have the titanium plate to be back on.  He indicated that there might be few people who complained about the plate not behaving and causing issues.  I have also read on this forum about others who had some issues with the plate, but personally i don’t have issue with my current plate.  However, since it will be removed, if he puts it back, i might have issues and that is why he recommends not to.

Anyone who had this done (removing the plate and not placing it back) and are doing better or ok with that?

Thanks.

Bp15

Re: Question about removing the Titanium plate without replacing it back
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 02:25:42 pm »
Already had the surgery done last week.  They opened up the same area of AN surgery 15 years ago, removed the plate, removed the Cholesterols Granuloma cyst and the surgeon decided not to put the plate back but just put the scalp to cover the hole without the bone flap.  Both surgeons indicated to me that they don’t put the plate back on anymore in recent AN surgeries due to various issues.  They told me the cholesterol Granuloma might have been caused by the plate and the sinking of the fat pudding they stuffed in there in the previous surgery, but this, they don’t know for sure, and just an educated guess…and told me no one would know for sure.  But…before this second  surgery, my tinnitus and sensitivity to sound got worse, and 6 days after the surgery, tinnitus and sensitivity to sound still there (maybe just a bit better), especially after talking to someone loud for a few minutes.    I also had similar symptoms to TMJ starting with the side of the AN probably due to swelling of the jaw, then TMJ also moved to the other side, probably due to the imbalance of the 2 jaws (just my guess), but now after this surgery, i hope the TMJ will go away once the swelling is gone.

I can tell you that this second surgery is better than the AN surgery, but not a lot better, however, recovery seems to be faster.  The cyst was almost took up the entire space within the middle ear and I had Translab so nothing was there before, just an empty area.s

One question about the tinnitus and sensitivity to sound:  Did you experiences the reduction and/or totally elimination of tinnitus and sound sensitivity after your AN surgery?  Mine was 15 years ago, so I don’t remember, so please help me with this.

Thank you.

donjehle

Re: Question about removing the Titanium plate without replacing it back
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 05:03:01 pm »
Thank you, Bp15, for the excellent post!  It is very helpful!

I haven't had surgery yet, so I cannot answer your question about the tinnitus and sensitivity to sound.  Hopefully, someone else can share their experience with you.  However, I wanted to express my appreciation for you sharing your surgery experience with us!

Best wishes on your recovery!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.