Author Topic: When doing partial removal of an AN with Retrosigmoid  (Read 1732 times)

bob_neuroma

When doing partial removal of an AN with Retrosigmoid
« on: August 24, 2022, 04:25:26 am »
Hi,

When doing partial removal of an AN with Retrosigmoid, how much is usually removed? I assume it differs case to case?

Regards,
bob_neuroma

donjehle

Re: When doing partial removal of an AN with Retrosigmoid
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 07:17:34 pm »
Hi Bob,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would agree with you that it differs from case to case depending on the size and location of the acoustic neuroma.  If it is on a facial nerve, the surgeon may be more cautious about how much he/she removes.  The other factor is the neurosurgeon.  Some doctors are more aggressive than others.  So, it is really difficult to answer your question.  It depends upon your neurosurgeon, the size of your acoustic neuroma, and its location.  That's the best I can share with you.  Someone else may know better than I do.

Thanks for asking questions.  It helps others who read the forum, but never post anything.
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

bob_neuroma

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 01:49:20 am »
Reason asking is that I have read > 90% removal in most cases with Retrosigmoid approach. Could people simple tell me how many % of their was removed with Retro? That would be immensely helpful.

Regards,
Bob 

schomiczewski

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 04:29:10 pm »
On nov 2; 2022 I just had retro for my 2.7cm right side AN and it was on my facial nerve. Dr barker and dr welling  at mgh left 2mm on the nerve. I will have mri follow up’s with the baseline to be done in early feb.

donjehle

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 05:49:48 am »
Thank you, schomiczewski, for sharing your experience.  Maybe others will share what happened to them as well?
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.