Author Topic: Facing life with one ear  (Read 1980 times)

ANviolist

Facing life with one ear
« on: July 27, 2022, 12:14:08 pm »
This is my first post on this forum. I'm a nearly 60-yo professional violist facing a decision on surgery vs radiation to treat my 1.4cm AN. So far in the affected ear I've lost like 90% of high frequencies, so pretty much unable to hear speech on that side. But in a music setting, it has not felt so drastic, I imagine because I still have low-frequency hearing.

As I ponder treatment options I'm 99% sure I prefer the radiation. The surgeons say there's a "chance" of preserving remaining hearing, but my reading indicates that's a pretty low chance. And there are so many other possible and probable complications. While the radiation seems to lead to probable loss of remining hearing in that ear, with maybe a slight chance of preservation.

I guess right now my biggest question is: Are there any musicians out there who have lost hearing in one ear? Have you been able to carry on despite that loss?

Thank you.

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: Facing life with one ear
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 02:34:09 pm »
I know there are a number of musicians who have been diagnosed and treated for an AN. (I am not a musician) but I'm hoping someone will respond to this post. Have you done a forum subject search to see if you could find anyone? I facilitated a virtual support group for musicians earlier in 2020...maybe someone at ANA might still have that list??

Wishing you the best!!

Marla B.

notaclone13

Re: Facing life with one ear
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 05:09:42 pm »
Is your good ear on the same side as the shoulder where your violin rests as you play? Just curious because you can get a hearing aid that would transfer the sound from your bad ear to your good ear if you need to.