Author Topic: Anyone with constant cheekbone pain?  (Read 1671 times)

hyoung90

Anyone with constant cheekbone pain?
« on: June 22, 2022, 07:00:35 am »
November 2021, I had acute hearing loss and an MRI revealed I have a 3mm x 4mm schwannoma on my vestibular nerve adjacent to my cochlear.  I get minor to severe headaches on the same side and ongoing dull to severe pain in my cheekbone.  My hearing comes and goes, but is on an overall downward track and I have ringing all the time, but it doesn't bother me.  I'm resolved that I will have hearing loss, but was hopeful the pain in my face and headaches might be alleviated with treatment. My 6 month MRI showed no growth, but I was still prepared to go ahead with the Middle Fossa surgery, until my doctor (An expert in this area and performed this surgery over 100 times) was adamant that my pain could not be related to the tumor.  It is next to CN7 which controls muscle movement, not CN5 which senses pain.  So, I opted for "watch and wait" for another year, knowing I will likely lose all my hearing on that side, which is ok with me considering all the risks of a craniotomy.  After jumping on here again though, I'm questioning it again, and have seen some people getting relief from their headaches post-surgery.  I guess I'm asking, anyone with a tiny AN have constant facial/cheekbone pain.  It's not stabbing or tingling, just dull and constant.  Doctor thinks it's clenching my jaw or grinding my teeth, a possibility, but one I'm not convinced of. 

donjehle

Re: Anyone with constant cheekbone pain?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 11:18:49 am »
Thank you, hyoung90, for sharing your amazing story!  I also have a small vestibular schwannoma about the same size as yours, and I have had a number of symptoms including the loss of hearing, tinnitus, and loss of balance.  But I have not had the pain like you have had.  But that does not mean that yours is not related to your tumor.  My ENT kept telling me that my symptoms could not be related to my VS because it was so small.  But my neurosurgeon at Emory told me that they were most likely from it.  Even though your doctor is an expert in the field, I still wonder if you should have a consultation with someone else.  The one thing I have learned on these ANA Forums is that everyone's journey is unique and what happens to others is not necessarily going to happen to you.

Thanks again for sharing, and I hope you find someone who is willing to provide the care you need.
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.