Author Topic: Sleep Disturbances / Nightmares  (Read 2850 times)

TrueKnits

Sleep Disturbances / Nightmares
« on: June 21, 2022, 06:09:28 pm »
I have been experiencing vivid dreams every time I sleep since the onset of symptoms.
They alternate between random events to downright terrifying scenarios. I awaken unrested and often shaken.
This is unusual for me. I have never experienced this in my life aside from when I have been pregnant.
I even took a test to be sure I wasn't pregnant even though I knew it would be negative.
Does tinnitus or some other presentation of symptoms awaken us during REM sleep?
I mentioned my poor sleep to the last ENT I saw at Mayo. He attributed it to stress in general but not to any specific physiological manifestation.
I know dreaming is essential, I would just like it to mellow out or stay in the deep recesses of my brain.
10.4 mm Right Side AN Diagnosed 5/25/2022
Retrosigmoid Surgery Scheduled for 08/12/2022
Doctors Neff and Van Gompel Mayo Rochester

Greece Lover

Re: Sleep Disturbances / Nightmares
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 09:17:36 am »
One of the significant aspects of being diagnoses with AN is the mental health side of things. And, these are things to which ENT docs and surgeons are often not atuned.  I have dealt with anxiety ever since my diagnosis.  (In fact, we're about to leave on a two-week road trip, including 10 nights of tent camping in Banff, CA, and my anxiety is through the roof!).  I've seen a therapist for it.  I also know people who have gotten some mild medication for it.  So, don't ignore mental health through this process.  No one had really prepped me for that.  You'll be OK and get through it, but at times its tough and the anxiety is certainly understandable. I obviously have no idea, but I suspect your dreams are related to all this, and I had them as well.

I wish you peace!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

TrueKnits

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 02:53:12 pm »
Thank you for your response!
Anxiety has been quite high on some days but in general is well managed.
This has been a surreal experience.  My brain is probably still overwhelmed with everything.
Camping sounds nice! I hope the trip goes well.
I'm thinking of going out to the country for recovery post surgery.

MarlaB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 04:26:21 pm »
The ANA has a new-ish information handbook on Cognitive effects and such. (Understanding Emotional, Cognitive and Behavioral Changes) If your membership is current, you can download it from the website. It might help you with answering some of your questions as well as give you suggestions for managing your anxiety.

Just know you are not alone in this. I too have been where you are. It does get better...or should I say..different?  ;-)

Stay well. Best wishes.

Marla B.

TrueKnits

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 07:23:32 pm »
Thank you for directing me to the handbook, Marla!
I hadn't yet read any as I assumed hard copies of some of the files may be part of the packet I am awaiting.
The information I read tonight was so thorough and helpful!
I have been watching some of the webinars and happened upon one regarding microsurgery that featured one of my surgeons. I am very grateful for the resources available. It helps immensely to gain knowledge regarding my condition at my own pace and from reputable sources.

Wishing everyone a wonderful evening!

4givvvn

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 01:09:58 pm »
Dealing with vivid dreams that shake you up is tough. A while back, I went through a phase where I'd wake up feeling like I'd run a marathon, all because of super intense dreams. It turned out my sleep schedule was way off. Fixing that helped a lot, and so did putting my phone away before bed.

About your question on tinnitus affecting sleep, I'm not sure, but I've heard that any kind of health concerns can mess with how well you sleep. It might be worth looking into or talking to a doctor about, especially if it's really bothering you.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 09:11:54 am by 4givvvn »

mwatto

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 09:49:30 pm »
Some supplements eg melatonin, LDN, Zolpidem can trigger vivid dreams so can certain foods. I actually like this- its a way for the brain to process old trauma etc. I see it as a sign my brain is working as it should be. Re nightmares I can usually decode these and recognise certain elements from things I have experienced.  I understand again its processing. I have found full spectrum CBD helps if I wake up alarmed at say 3 am - or a trip to bathroom and reassuring myself again all is well.
Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing