Author Topic: Contemplating BAHA  (Read 2259 times)

oglakan

Contemplating BAHA
« on: May 09, 2022, 08:50:32 pm »
Good day,

I am post translab for about 3 years and I am considering getting a BAHA, but tbh I don't want to deal with another surgery.  I was wondering if anyone was willing to share their feelings that got one.  I would especially like to know if anyone did it and regretted it. 

Thanks
M

donjehle

Re: Contemplating BAHA
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 11:28:47 am »
Hi M,

Thanks for making your first post on the forums!  Please continue to post and update us on your decision when you eventually make it.  I would also love to hear about your translab surgery and how everything went.  If you don't mind sharing your journey, it could be very helpful to some of us who haven't been treated yet.

In terms of the BAHA, I see that it has been a few days since you posted and no one has replied to you yet (Hopefully someone will soon).  I have not had the BAHA, so I cannot speak with any authority about it.  However, a few people whom I spoke to after they had the surgery said they really like it and have no regrets.  That is not a very scientific answer for you, and it could be that I only happened to speak to those who had a positive experience.  I am hoping that if someone has had a bad experience with BAHA that they will read your post and share what happened with them and BAHA.  It would be good, not only for you, M, but for all of us to know the benefits and the challenges of BAHA.

Thanks again for sharing!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 03:47:37 pm »
Hi M
I have a BAHA. I got it in 2014 which was 3 years after my translab surgery. The two surgeries are nothing alike! I have forgotten much of it but as I remember it was outpatient and not much recovery, except for the healing of the area around the post that was implanted. Then in about 3 weeks, I believe, I went back to receive the actual processor and have the “ fitting” or adjustments.

I have not had any major issues with mine. I have a little seepage I guess you’d call it at times when I haven’t cleaned the area well or maybe my hair is dirty  ::),, there is a small area where it seems the skin doesn’t adhere to the post as it maybe should. But I’ve never had an infection there or any reason to see a doctor about it.

I will say that I don’t wear it “ all day, every day” as I probably should. I’m retired so if I’m not leaving the house,, I may not wear it. BUT it is best and advisable to wear it as much as possible when you first get it so that your brain can “ learn” to hear with it. And I did wear it most of the time at first.

I hear real well with my “ good” ear and my brain learned to hear that way for the first 3 years,, so I feel like perhaps I don’t realize a lot of help from my BAHA unless someone is on that side.

As I’m sure you are aware,, we learn where to sit in a room of people or at a table in order to get most of what’s said. There are accessories you can purchase for the BAHA to help amplify the sounds. And it connects with an iPhone for remote control of different options.

There is a new version 6 of the processor that I am hoping to get next month. ( I have the Power 5 now). I hear really good things about it and the clarity of the sound it provides.

Would I do it again??,, yes I think I would. Don’t set your expectations too high,, you won’t get back all of your hearing of course,, but you will get sounds from that side of your head that you don’t now.

Another thing,, you won’t get any directionality with it. In other words,, if there is a sound behind me , I can’t tell from which direction it is coming. Like if my husband calls from another room,,, I have NO idea where he is. THAT part is frustrating,, but I have that with or without the BAHA!!

Sorry this is so long,,, I don’t come on here very often any longer ,, but saw this post about a BAHA and knew I could give my journey and thoughts.  :)
Good luck to you,,,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 12:50:37 pm »
Thank you, Jane, for sharing your experience!  That is the benefit of our ANA forums.  Someone who has gone through a procedure can share from their experience what is helpful for the rest of us.

Thanks again!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

Girldad

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 10:15:25 pm »
I had my BAHA implanted at the same time as my translab surgery, so I cannot comment on the procedure. I am also only 2 months out from surgery, so my processor is not activated yet. My appointment to activate my processor is mid June, so I can give you some feedback then. The abutment has healed well for me and not caused any problems so far.

If you search BAHA on this forum you can read many peoples accounts of their BAHA experience. Some good and some bad. I did this before I decided to get one. My ENT keeps telling me that they are amazing. I can’t wait to get mine activated.  Good luck gathering your info. Hopefully some more people comment.
Diagnosed 10/16/20 19.2mm x 14.7mm x 12.7mm
Last MRI on 4/27/21 19.2mm x 14.7mm x 13.8mm
Translab surgery at UCSD 3/17/22
with Drs. Friedman and Schwartz
BAHA user

donjehle

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 08:06:35 am »
After yours is activated next month, please post again, Girldad, and let us know how your experience is with it.  I will be anxious to know how it is for you!
No treatment yet.

kaykay

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 07:17:31 am »
Im 11yrs post....I got the BAHA 5 about 3 years ago.
The surgery wasnt bad...as far as surgeries go. Id rather do that then a root canal. ;)

Pros----you can download an app to help with the volume (and bass n treble)...that came in handy because i gave up trying to go get it adjusted. it would be fine in the office and then i go to my truck and it squeals. i didnt wear it for a year because of this...and then i found the the app (what a life saver) it gives you control to turn it down. and it checks your battery power...has a locator on it....

cons--the squeal if you dont have the app. just like any hearing device if you are in a large crowd...sometimes the extra noise gets overwhelming...but its cool being able to hear people on your deaf side...but too many people and too many conversations. 
you cant get an open mri anymore...just found that out.(going for my following mri next week)..so if you are claustrophobic your options are limited.

other then that...you get use to the base that is screwed into your skull...youll forget its there.

id get it again. just wish the processor was smaller.