Author Topic: Taste and Smell, frick and frack!  (Read 3975 times)

Boppie

Taste and Smell, frick and frack!
« on: December 01, 2006, 05:39:52 pm »
I recovered my sense of taste around 9 months, and now I am having numb tongue issues again.  The numbness comes and goes for as much as a week at a time.  Sometimes I think I smell things that other people can't smell.  Strong odors, like paint, upset my sense of taste for a few days.  Anybody else experiencing this?

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Taste and Smell, frick and frack!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 06:13:38 pm »
Oh yes, strong smells seem to throw my sense of taste off for days and with all the painting going on here nothing tastes right.  Smells seem to make the headaches worse.  I can eat rice cakes and they taste the same as Cinnabons!
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 07:06:35 pm »

My taste and smell are perfect for the most part. Still some residual numbness on A.N. side but gradually improving. I still have the occasional salty and metallic taste that really does not interfere with my normal sense of smell and taste. It's like putting the constant, roaring tinnitus on my left side on the backburner and focusing only on the good hearing coming in from the right ear. These nerve nuances effect everyone differently; they're all variations on a theme - the theme being Acoustic Neuroma. I'm at about 1 year and 2 months out from surgery now.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

lmurray69

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 09:09:36 pm »
Boppi how long has it been sence you had surgery..I am having taste and tung tingles,, scares the crap right out of ya...nothing taste good( I went to kfc to eat and i couldnt taste the chicken so i got hot sause. it tasted better, my husband said he was waiting for fire to choot ou tmy nose it was texas hot sauce..I had heart burn all night..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 11:43:09 pm »
Linda, I had surgery one year ago December 15.  I just keep on eating what I need.  Sometimes my throat gets very dry, too!  I guess the facial nerve damage went a little further than just nose, eye, cheek, chin.  All of that has recovered.  It is just the tongue that is bothersome, now...just like frick and frack, off and on.