Author Topic: Home from surgery!! Advice!!  (Read 2632 times)

Carver55

Home from surgery!! Advice!!
« on: April 03, 2022, 08:57:53 pm »
Hey everyone had my surgery last Tuesday went home Friday!! I had no facial paralysis issues thank goodness!! But I have been having trouble getting comfortable at night?! Any advice?? And any advice on just helping to make sure I don't have any complications?? Following all doctors orders but wondering if you guys know any more helpful tips?? It's bruised and itchy at this point but that's normal lol help with maybe trying to wash my hair lol
translabyrinthine Done on 3/29/22 at emory in atl. No facial paralysis. Lost a bit of taste on left side and balance and walking issues. Ssd left side.

Greece Lover

Re: Home from surgery!! Advice!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 07:59:59 am »
Congratulations on being home.  Unfortunately, there's not a lot to do other than be patient.  sleeping is really uncomfortable for a while.  Get a lot of pillows and prop yourself up.  I'll never forget the first time I woke up in the middle of the night and had been sleeping on the "scar" side and everything was fine.  It was a huge relief.  But it took a few weeks for sure. 

I had one of my kids help me shower, because it's not easy. We also got a shower chair (very humbling for a healthy 40 year old!). 

Listen to your body.  You'll have good days and bad days.  Progression is not always linear.  But you'll make it!

GreeceLover
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

Girldad

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 08:04:54 am »
I share your frustration about getting comfortable.  I had surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago and had the same problem.  I slept in a recliner for about the first week after surgery.  When I went to the bed I tried sleeping with 3 pillows at first, but went down to two and that helped.  My surgeon told me at my post op appointment (about 11 days after surgery) that sleeping at a 30 degree angle was not critical at this point.  He said to just try to prop myself up as much as possible and still be comfortable.  I am down to one pillow now and sleeping pretty good.

Washing my hair was also a challenge.  They said that the incision could get wet but the BAHA had to stay dry for 10 days when the healing cap came off.  I ended up getting a shower cap to wear until I was ready to wash as much of my hair as possible.  Then I just held it over the part that was not supposed to get wet.  I wasn't thrilled to be wearing a shower cap (I told my wife absolutely no pictures), but it worked pretty well.

Hope some of this helps.  Congratulations on a successful surgery.
Diagnosed 10/16/20 19.2mm x 14.7mm x 12.7mm
Last MRI on 4/27/21 19.2mm x 14.7mm x 13.8mm
Translab surgery at UCSD 3/17/22
with Drs. Friedman and Schwartz
BAHA user

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 11:40:55 am »
I just want to congratulate Carver55 on a very successful surgery, and it sounds like a very good recovery (except for being comfortable at night). I was wondering how it was going, so thank you for keeping us updated.

Best wishes on your continued recovery!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

kcollette

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 05:22:26 pm »
That’s great that everything went well! I found a wedge pillow to be the most comfortable for sleeping. I didn’t sleep on my surgery side for a few days but once I started experimenting it it wasn’t too bad. A shower chair can be really helpful if you’re unsteady on your feet or if you’re just tiring easily. Washing my long hair was such a pain, and I didn’t really get it fully clean for several days, but it felt great to get it clean. Basically, I’d say to just take it easy but make time to walk every day. It really helps get your balance back on track.