Author Topic: Wondering How Those in Their 70's Manage Post Surgery  (Read 2370 times)

ShadyLady

Wondering How Those in Their 70's Manage Post Surgery
« on: April 01, 2022, 07:52:01 pm »
Hello...I will be the Caregiver for my Hubby after his Surgery for a 3cm tumor. We are both 70 and I was wondering how those of you the same "vintage" are doing after your surgery? We don't know what surgical approach he will have just yet but likely the Translab.  We will find out the specifics next week after another MRI.

Our Daughter also had AN surgery when she was 25 and she had a hard recovery but came out with virtually no side effects other than a slight hearing reduction on the high and low end of the spectrum.  Now it is her Dad's turn! So we have a good idea of what to expect from experiencing what our Daughter when through. I am sure being 70 will present some extra challenges. So just looking for some support and advice from the 70's crowd of how post surgery went for you.  :)

donjehle

Re: Wondering How Those in Their 70's Manage Post Surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 05:07:35 pm »
Hello, ShadyLady, and welcome to the ANA forums!

I am not able to answer your questions (even though I'm almost your husband's age) because I haven't had surgery yet.  So, someone else will need to speak to what kind of recovery someone in their 70's may have (realizing, of course, that everyone's journey, surgery, and recovery are all different). 

Instead, I just want to commend you on making your first post.

And I also want to wish your husband all the best for his upcoming surgery and eventual recovery!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

ShadyLady

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 07:30:10 pm »
Thank you for your reply donjehle. You are right about everybody having different experiences. Our Daughter had a good recovery once she got past the headaches. But she was only 25 at the time. Hubby will have the same surgeon as our Daughter so hopefully he will have a good outcome as well. Especially since the surgeon has 20 years of extra experience now!  :)

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 05:42:29 pm »
Everyone has a little different journey -- even with the same neurosurgeon that someone else had because we are all different.  And your daughter at age 25 would have a different experience than your husband at age 70.  And as you pointed out, his neurosurgeon has had an extra 20 years of experience.  But what's even better is that the technology and treatment methods have improved dramatically over the last 20 years.  Your husband should greatly benefit from that.  And the best benefit of all is that your daughter has already been down that road, and she can be of great encouragement to her father.  Some of us become discouraged sometimes.  Many need to see a therapist to help them through the tough mental and emotional experiences.  Some of us rely on others in the forums and in the ANA group meetings to help us get by.  But having a family member who has been down the road before him and can give personal encouragement from her experience, that is PRICELESS!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

notaclone13

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 04:39:11 pm »
ShadyLady, put “ Abetpds” in the search box and read her posts. She was 70 when she had a translab to treat a large AN. She did fantastic!