Author Topic: Preop advice  (Read 2595 times)

Carver55

Preop advice
« on: March 19, 2022, 11:54:56 pm »
I'm a week away from having surgery. I'm a bit nervous. Can anyone tell me what they do before the surgery? Like do you get a catheter before you're asleep? I.V s? When you woke up what was it like? How long did you stay? I'm going to emory in atl.
translabyrinthine Done on 3/29/22 at emory in atl. No facial paralysis. Lost a bit of taste on left side and balance and walking issues. Ssd left side.

kcollette

Re: Preop advice
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 01:57:45 pm »
I got an IV before being put to sleep but they did the arterial line and catheter after I was out. When I woke up I was really tired and slept off and on the first two days it was actually nice to have the catheter because once they took it out I realize just how much those fluids they pump in to you make you pee! I swear I had to buzz a nurse every hour to get to the bathroom once it was out. I was in the hospital for two nights and was discharged in the evening of the third day. I just had surgery in January (at UCSD) so the experience is fresh if you have more questions!

Carver55

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 09:01:35 pm »
Thank you so much this was super helpful! I'm definitely less nervous!
translabyrinthine Done on 3/29/22 at emory in atl. No facial paralysis. Lost a bit of taste on left side and balance and walking issues. Ssd left side.

Greece Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 08:33:42 am »
Good luck.  My pre-op experience at the university of Iowa was similar. One IV before surgery.  They wheel you away, ask a few questions (they asked  me several times which side we were operating on).  I saw the surgeon give a nod to the anesthesiologist and that was it.  It's pretty surreal.  But  all the other parts of the surgery happen after you're out, from the catheter to the shaving of the hair, etc.

When I woke up I was super cold.  I asked for my wife.  But you're pretty out of it for a few days.  Lots of nausea.  I was in the hospital 5 nights, which I think is still fairly standard.  Balance, strength, fatigue, are all difficult.  But, when I awoke from surgery I also had this overwhelming sense of peace, like "it's over."  I found the week leading up to the surgery almost more difficult.

Good luck! Feel free to reach out if you have more or more specific questions.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

donjehle

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 02:21:28 pm »
That's one of the things I appreciate about these forums.  The ANA community is helpful.  Those who have gone before us can share their experience with us.  We can ask questions.  And we try to support others who are going through what we are or what we have been through.

We are rooting for you, Carver55!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

kathleen08

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 10:50:01 am »
I recall waiting for a bit in a private pre-op room. Getting an IV, putting on a gown, etc. The time from "they are ready for you" and going in a wheelchair to the surgery room and to be put under was probably less than 5 minutes, and was awful. The other pre surgery things happened after I was out.

I'll be honest, I wish someone had been honest with me about how crappy I would feel after surgery! I was cleared for normal activity and back at work in 5 weeks, but those first 3 weeks were not fun. I get the sense that my recovery was pretty typical, maybe some bumps, maybe skipping a few bumps.

If you want to read a very detailed journey, do a google search for chateauturner blogspot.

Good luck!!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:42:57 am by kathleen08 »