Author Topic: UCSD translab Friedman & Schwartz  (Read 2172 times)

lryan42

UCSD translab Friedman & Schwartz
« on: February 22, 2022, 06:47:32 pm »
Hey everybody!  I'm about 4 hours out of surgery today and wanted to give an update.  Everything went amazingly well.  Better than I could have hoped!

I'm so freaking excited! Surgery was scheduled for 5 hours but they got it done in 2.5 and Friedman said it went great.  Tumor came out very easily, cochlear implant went in great and super importantly to me they didn't have to do anything in the middle ear so my eustacian tube and middle ear is fully intact.  I'll definitely be able to scuba dive again!  Thank God and Dr. Friedman!

Here's some other cool stuff:

1. My tinnitus is quieter and the pulsatile aspect is GONE.
2. My imbalance is noticeably better.   I have zero dizziness or nausea.  They expected 2-3 days in the hospital but discharged me shortly after surgery!
3. My nystagmus and eye craziness is noticeably better!

3 weeks till activation of my CI!

I'M SO VERY VERY GRATEFUL!

A couple other tidbits. 

1. Though I did preop consult with Dr. Schwartz, I don't think he was in the surgery because of the very straightforward location for my tumor.  Everybody was really careful to say "hey so we aren't minimizing this and it's a really big deal for you, but this is about as easy a case as it gets for us.  Not brain surgery - just deep ear surgery."

2. Dr. Friedman is currently training a Fellow named Dr. Peter Dixon.  I was really impressed with Dr. Dixon throughout our pre-op consults and conversations before surgery.  I asked him "so, why did ypu pick skull base surgery?" And he said "it's hard and very detailed."  That's an awesome answer for me. His interests include vestibular schwannomas and cochlear implants. Cool!

3. I can't say enough good things about the whole UCSD team.  From the nurses to the anesthesiologist to the occupational therapy folks.  VERY glad I had my surgery done here!

I'll update you on the CI activation in a couple weeks.
2017 - Mild vestibular symptoms. misdiagnosed. Normal hearing.
2018 - MRI w/o contrast: ambiguous. Normal hearing.
2019 - MRI /w contrast: 5mm x 4mm x 3mm AN.  Moderate hearing loss.
2020 - Completely SSD.
2022 - 6x4x4 mm with 3mm extension into cochlea and semicircular canals.  Surgery UCSD + CI.

kcollette

Re: UCSD translab Friedman & Schwartz
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 10:21:41 am »
Wow, that’s an amazing update! What great outcomes! Congrats on having the hard part done.

I was also impressed with Dr. Dixon. 

donjehle

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 10:48:17 am »
That is wonderful, Iryan42!

Thank you for that great update.  It really encourages the rest of us who are seeking treatment!

Best wishes on your fantastic recovery!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

Greece Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 02:22:32 pm »
giving an update 4 hours after surgery is NOT normal.  I was actively trying not to puke my guts out at that point!  Congratulations!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

Girldad

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 03:32:22 pm »
That is great!  I am scheduled for translab surgery with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz in less than a month.  I really love reading these updates from people that have been operated on by them.  It is increasing the confidence I have in the whole process that I am getting ready to go through.  Everybody says wonderful things about not only the doctors, but also the nurses and staff.

Thank you for sharing.  I look forward to more updates.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 03:40:25 pm by Girldad »
Diagnosed 10/16/20 19.2mm x 14.7mm x 12.7mm
Last MRI on 4/27/21 19.2mm x 14.7mm x 13.8mm
Translab surgery at UCSD 3/17/22
with Drs. Friedman and Schwartz
BAHA user

donjehle

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 10:11:40 am »
Now that we are in March, I will be looking forward to reading your update later this month, Girldad!

I'm hoping it goes as well as Irayn42's did!  We're rooting for you!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.