Author Topic: UCSD Middle fossa with Friedman and Schwartz  (Read 1782 times)

kcollette

UCSD Middle fossa with Friedman and Schwartz
« on: February 02, 2022, 06:18:55 pm »
I’m heading home tomorrow after having had a middle fossa surgery last Tuesday with Drs. Friedman and Schwartz for an acoustic neuroma about 7.5 x 5.5” (or larger depending on which MRI report you read). I have some fluid in my ear now but my hearing is pretty good and is expected to be the same as pre-surgery once the fluid drains. I had a teeny tiny bit of facial paralysis for 1-2 days - just a slightly lower smile on the surgery side. Balance is waaaay better than I would have expected already. I’m so thankful and just elated at the whole experience.

My partner and I stayed at the La Jolla Family House, which is just a 10 minute walk from the hospital and doctor’s offices. We DoorDashed some great food to avoid potential COVID exposure in restaurants and I walked on the beach just a couple days after surgery. The family house is on campus so there are nice places to get daily post-surgery walks in. The guest rooms are essentially hotel rooms (beds, desk, mini fridge, bathroom) but there is a community kitchen. We went grocery shopping on arrival and took advantage of that space to cook some meals to save on food costs.

I tweeted a little about my experiences at @KatieMCollette on Twitter if you’re interested, and I’m willing to answer any questions anyone has about my experience. I know I poked around the Post-Treatment part of the forum before my surgery trying to get a glimpse of what was on the other side. Of course it’s different for everyone but the more stories I read the better I felt. Thanks to everyone on here for posting!

donjehle

Re: UCSD Middle fossa with Friedman and Schwartz
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 06:43:39 pm »
First of all, thank you, kcollette, for posting your experience.  As you know, it is helpful for the ANA community when we share what we have gone through.

I do have a question though: How soon after your surgery will you be able to return to work (or to your normal activities)?

Thanks,
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

kcollette

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 07:06:36 pm »
Hi Don! The surgeon’s office sent approval for up to 8 weeks of short-term disability to my company if I need it but I don’t think I will. The main symptoms/issues they noted were fatigue and difficulty concentrating for long periods. So far that’s super accurate for me. At this point, I’m still getting really worn out after a couple hours of activity and I get headaches and severe fatigue when I’ve done too much so I know I’m not even close to ready yet. My plan is to see how I feel around 4 weeks and maybe go back part-time for a week. For reference, I have a desk job so it’s more demanding on my brain than the rest of my body.

What I read from a lot of other people was that six weeks seemed good for many. Most of the people who said they went back at four weeks said they wished they would have taken two more, which is why I’m hesitant to try full-time right away after four weeks.

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 07:28:10 pm »
Thank you, kcollette!  That was very helpful!  I had heard from somewhere that it could take three months to return to work, and I did not know how I could be gone that long.  Your experience encourages me.  Six or eight weeks is certainly more doable.

Best wishes on your speedy recovery!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

kcollette

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 08:09:15 pm »
Thank you so much!

Maybe the recovery time is different for the three approaches or if the tumor is larger. I agree that 12 weeks away from work would be rough. Worth it though if it would help relieve symptoms, especially with large tumors.

Good luck to you too! Making the treatment decision is so tough!